Tuesday, September 22, 2009

What I Really Did on Day 1

I promised to document my success with "doing nothing." Well, today -- on my first full day of this nonsense, I managed to:
  • fold and put away the laundry I had done yesterday;
  • wash another load of laundry and hang it up to dry (will take it down before I go to bed);
  • put a load of dishes through the dishwasher (come on, that counts as work -- it's called doing dishes.  Besides, having done that, I then had to empty that dishwasher!)
  • did my bookkeeping, a task which hadn't been done in several days;
  • checked John's e-mail for anything that might need his attention (like I'm gonna recognize something that needs attention in amongst all the spam);
  • called Visa to clarify the situation with our new cards (which arrived in the mail yesterday - the very day John left for Saskatchewan -- if I validate the cards, he will be without credit while he's away.) Turns out, the last day to activate the new cards is the day John returns. Talk about cutting it close!
  • called my brew-your-own wine outlet -- gonna run out of wine soon.  My new batch will be ready to bottle tomorrow.  Now I have a commitment on Thursday morning!
  • vegged in front of the television for long periods of time.
I guess that's not a bad start for day one of doing nothing.
What did I NOT achieve, that was on the agenda for today?  I did not address the matter of the Halifax wedding. After all, we don't leave for that wedding until October 1st.  OMG -- I've turned into my husband! I am now officially a procrastinator.
I neither hemmed John's pants nor figured out what I'll wear for the wedding.
I hate sewing with a passion.  Never liked it; so why in hell would I want to do something like hem a pair of pants when it actually matters? I know precisely what needs to be done (cut, fold, sew -- fughetaboutit).  I believe very much that "a job worth doing is worth doing well." So I will bow to a higher power and I will pay someone to take care of that particular job.
As to what I'll wear for the wedding -- well, back to the drawing board on that one.

On the agenda for day 2:
I have to go into Ottawa tomorrow for a physiotherapy session (and man do I need one!), after which I'm going out to Barrhaven to meet a friend for lunch. Then we're going to check out Chi Machine Canada, which just happens to be headquartered in her neighbourhood. My niece had mentioned to me that she had really enjoyed the Chi Machine she had tried at a spa and apparently it provides wonderful benefits for fibromyalgia sufferers. I checked it out on the net, and if one were to believe its claims, we only need put one of these suckers in every home in the nation to solve all our health care woes!  So we're going to visit the headquarters and find out what we can about the unit.
So it will be late tomorrow before I'll be able to update you on my Day 2 progress. Obviously, it won't be a report of having done nothing since I won't have done nothing tomorrow.

No comments: