Thursday, September 10, 2009

My Local Pharmacist ...

My local pharmacist is a truly marvelous resource; it's almost like having a doctor in my back pocket.
I stopped in to pick up my next supply of Cesamet and had a few questions about the drug. I'll be seeing my doctor next week and will be asking him several of the same questions, but I wanted to get my pharmacist's take on a few things I've noticed since I started taking it.
What an interesting discussion it turned out to be!
  • The bruises that I've been acquiring from no apparent cause (I can no longer make jokes about being a battered wife because I'm starting to actually look like one!) are most likely the result of my taking Lyrica. Blood tests will indicate if there is any need for concern.
  • My lack of appetite and resulting weight loss are directly related to my taking Cesamet -- woo hoo! Finally, an obscure side effect that I can actually welcome, as long as it doesn't persist beyond a healthy level. (Once I reach my appropriate weight, if I continue to lose, I will have to revisit this issue.) My doctor may not agree with me on this approach to weight loss.
  • Apparently, there is an addictive aspect to Cesamet. And the "come down" effect I've noticed on both occasions following our recent travel outings (when I've taken the higher dose on several consecutive days) is in fact my body saying, "Give me that extra shot please." So my friendly neighbourhood pharmacist suggested that I try taking .5mg extra on the day (or two days, if necessary) following such instances to allow my body a slower return to the lower dose. That means I will need two Cesamet scripts: 1.0 mg capsules, and 0.5 mg capsules.
So many topics to discuss with my doctor (there are other items on my list as well).
And the sign says to limit my issues to two.
What ever will I do?
Good thing I only ever see my doctor about one issue: ME.

No comments: