Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Day 1 of "Doing Nothing"

Well, here we are on Day 2 of my "Alone Time" which I have now rechristened my "Doing Nothing" time.
And since I'm doing nothing I guess I can't update this blog either?
Naaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh
Surely I can still think of stuff to yammer about in this space.
So how did I manage the first shift of doing nothing last evening?
  • I put a load of laundry in the washing machine (and later transferred it to the dryer). OK, that violated the "do nothing" rule but I do have to maintain my household responsibilities.
  • I spoke on the telephone for, oh, about two hours (and missed John's call as a result). Note to self: When returning calls, or if a call will be lengthy, use the fax line so John can reach you on the house phone!
  • I was completely out of gas by 7:30pm so I hit the sack by 8:00pm -- which resulted in my waking up at 11:30pm feeling quite refreshed (I felt like I'd had a wonderful nap).
  • I watched canned television until 3:30 this morning (thank God it's season premiere week -- I had new shows to watch).
  • I went back to bed and woke again at 7:00am -- my normal wake time! I had really hoped to sleep much later but I guess that wasn't in the cards.
Am I tired of being alone yet?
Not at all -- as I've already said, alone time has always been very precious to me.
I often wonder if my need for alone time comes from growing up in a large family and never having "my own space." I remember often feeling very crowded and closed in -- a feeling I still don't like. For example, I cannot bear to be seated between two people in any situation (including dinner parties where I know all the players), always choosing to sit at one end or the other of a table. I never choose a window seat of an airplane or train because that places a wall (albeit a "windowed wall") on one side of me with a person on the other, effectively closing me in. (Now, because of my problems with my right hip, I always choose an aisle seat to allow me to extend my right leg as needed.)
I don't know what that all has to do with "being alone" but my mind just went off on the analogy. Somehow, the two quirky behaviours must be connected.
In any event, I've never had a problem being by myself.
Am I missing John yet?
You bet I am.
While he's away, I have to walk down to the end of the laneway to pick up my newspapers.
And I have to interrupt the reading of said newspapers to provide my own coffee refill service.
That's the price I have to pay for my alone time!

Today's agenda:
Do another load of laundry (I have to maintain my household responsibilities!)
Hem pants John plans to wear for Halifax wedding (OK, that violates the "do nothing" scheme but the pants have to be hemmed -- he has short legs!)
Figure out what I'm going to wear for Halifax wedding (I know, I said I had that nailed down; apparently, I lied!)
Prepare foam bed roll for Halifax trip (I have a "travel" foam bed roll that I need to condense for flight packing purposes -- I have a few ideas that I want to test)
Continue doing nothing.

No comments: