Sunday, September 20, 2009

Glorious Alone Time

Does that sound awful? I really relish my alone time.
When John goes on his Saskatchewan hunting trips, I take advantage of that alone time to get important jobs done around the home -- stuff that might otherwise be a tad difficult to complete with him under foot.
One year, I hired someone to build a deck -- BUT the builder had to be able to start on the day that John left for Saskatchewan and he had to guarantee that the deck would be finished by the date that John was returning. (John knew nothing of this plan -- he found out when he arrived home and saw the completed deck.) The deadline was met with little time to spare -- and the deck has proven to be a very welcome addition to our home, although we haven't had much use of it this summer!
Every other year while John is in Saskatchewan, I take advantage of his absence and I clean the pantry. Yes, that's a treat for me because it's a huge job and it simply cannot be done WITH his help. I empty the room completely, which means that every flat surface in the kitchen, dining room and porch are filled to capacity. I wash down every shelf and all the walls. Then I hope I return everything to its rightful place.

Cleaning the pantry is a four day exercise for me because it's terribly strenuous work and, as you know, I have to pace myself very carefully.
But the pantry got the major go-over last year.
So, whatever will I fill my time with this year?
John leaves tomorrow.
He doesn't return until next Sunday.
Six full days of alone time.
Gonna have to think of something!
Oh wait -- I know.
I'll do NOTHING.
Wonder how long that will last?
I do have commitments for two of the days, but only two.
So on the days for which I have nothing booked, I will do nothing.
Yeh, that's it -- N-O-T-H-I-N-G.
Glorious nothing.
Gonna document it here.
We'll see how long Bonnie lasts doing nothing.
In Other News:
My boys couldn't pull out a win again last night -- lost 4-0 to Tampa Bay!
Just 14 games left on the season -- and they sit at 16 games under .500 (obvioulsy they'll finish with their worst record ever)

No comments: