Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Busting the Tooth Fairy Myth

My beautiful boy is determined to bust the myth of the tooth fairy.
For quite some time now, my grandson has been trying to figure out the whole Santa Claus, Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy, business and we've been fairly good at keeping the fantasy going. (Or he's been pretty good at playing along with us to keep the loot coming -- he is, after all, not stupid!)
Last year, he came up with what he thought was a brilliant idea of how to catch the tooth fairy in the act.
He would not tell anyone when a tooth had come out and he would see if the tooth fairy appeared and made the exchange.
Well, she did appear and made the exchange.  Because, of course, he shared his plan with his Mom.
All she had to do -- once she knew he had a loose tooth -- was check the tooth fairy box nightly until there was a tooth in it.
It didn't take long; he had told her of his plan on the day the tooth fell out!
She and I had a good chuckle at the time wondering how long it would take him to figure out NOT to let his Mom in on his scheme.
Well, I guess with his most recent tooth loss, he tried again.
But he was going to catch the tooth fairy this time.
As he got into the car to be taken to school this morning, he announced, "Oh Mom, I forgot to tell you.  My tooth came out yesterday."
"It did?" queries Mom.
"Yup.  When I was eating lunch," he says, with a big grin.
"Well," says Mom, "we'll have to put it in the box for the tooth fairy then."
"Oh, I already did and I got my money," says he.
End of discussion.
He has now proven that the tooth fairy exists!
Imagine the discussions that will happen at school today!  I can just hear them!
Now, how did his scheme fail this time?
Well, for a very smart little boy, sometimes he is such a man (shortsighted thinker)!
This time, he told his DAD!  I'm sure a tooth fairy can only be female (think about it for a minute).  I'm sure he thought it would be perfectly safe to share his secret scheme with his Dad.  Either that, or he figured he'd better have a back-up just in case -- he likes the loot so someone in the household better know. 
In Other News:
My boys, with Doc on the mound, DID manage to beat up on the Yankees last night.
They are still 13 games under .500 -- with only 17 games left on the season.

No comments: