Friday, September 18, 2009

Mattress Woes

My mattress has stopped delivering for me.
That's right.
Five years ago, we bought a super-duper top-of-the-line, guaranteed to last a lifetime (OK, lots of years) cushion-top Kingsdown mattress that would take care of my pressure-point issues.
And take care of my pressure-point issues it did.
I sang its praises far and wide.
My physiotherapist referred others to the same line of mattress based on my recommendations.
The mattress was not cheap.
And now, five years later, it has stopped delivering.
So, has my fibromyalgia worsened in the past five years? Not likely.
In fact, my fibro is better controlled today than it was five years ago.
I'm no longer working, so that removed a lot of the stressors from my life.
I'm using both Lyrica and Cesamet to effect significant pain relief.
I now have the TENs machine and the acupen which both afford pain relief.
None of these "tools" did I have available to me five years ago.
So I think I'm in a better place today insofar as managing the fibro is concerned.
As to my hips, I have no way of assessing them.
Certainly, my left hip is a bigger problem than it was five years ago. I don't think my right hip is any worse than it was but we do know it isn't any better. The Cesamet is working well at keeping the worst of the hip pain at bay.
All I know for sure is, my mattress -- which is only five years old -- has stopped delivering for me.
Not because there's anything wrong with it, you realize.
It's just that the technology has changed and improved so much in five years, you realize (to quote a certain salesman).
So last night was the last night we slept on that version of our therapeutic mattress.
And today we take delivery of a new, super-duper, top-of-the-line, guaranteed to last a very long time, Kingsdown mattress -- that will once again take care of my pressure point issues (just as the other one did when new).
Now, what to do with a perfectly good super-duper, top-of-the-line, lots-of-life-left mattress with not a thing wrong with it? Like we have lots of room in this place to store a humongous queen size mattress until we find a buyer!

No comments: