Sunday, August 2, 2009

Only Five More Sleeps ....

... until I leave for the Back2Back Reunion weekend.
Can you tell that I'm looking forward to it?
John has been bugging me about what I want for my birthday -- every year that's a problem for him. He never knows what to get me.
Back in 2005, when I bought my new Chrysler Pacifica, he bought the snow tires for it -- cost him a pretty penny! But he loves me lots and lots!
So this year, he's been on my case big time.
On Friday, I met a good friend for lunch. After which we walked around checking out various stores.
"Oh look, a sports paraphernalia store! Let's go see what they have in here," say I.
It didn't take the clerk long to pick up on the Joe Carter-specific interest of the two ladies (OK, one of the ladies) who walked into the store. So he mentioned that there were vintage Carter jerseys available -- he just didn't have any cuz he sold the two that his store received. But he knew that there were some at the other stores and he could have one brought in for me if I was interested.
My girlfriend was no help of course.
She goaded me on.
And on.
My birthday is coming.
And John has been asking.
So.
I bought it.
It arrived at the store yesterday.
I can pick it up any time (that will happen today since I'm meeting my daughter for lunch at the same spot!).
My daughter is absolutely in shock. She cannot believe it. She has instructed me that I "best be getting that puppy autographed for what John has paid for it!"
When I told John how concerned my daughter is about what he paid for this jersey, he said that she could contribute towards it if she wanted. I thought that was a pretty good comeback.
John figures that the price of the jersey was worth it if it means he has bought me something that I really want and I will actually wear.
Oh, I will wear it alright.
Certainly I will wear it next weekend -- how else will Joe find me in amongst the crowd?
But I will wear that baby so much that John will be sick of seeing it on me!
I realize that I will have to up my forever age to 29 since I will now have the jersey to prove it!
It's been fun being 25 all these years and I guess I can handle being 29, under the circumstances ... but will I have to change my name to Carter???????????

No comments: