Monday, August 31, 2009

My long day ...

... proved to be oh so frustrating.
I headed out for my physiotherapy.
Sometimes, some of the needles hurt.
Today, lots of them hurt, especially in my legs.
But I made it. And I lived to talk about it, as the saying goes.
When I finished my session, I headed off to take my car to the dealer to have the GPS/radio system replaced (under warranty -- I just bought the car in May of this year). As I was checking it in, I was told that there were three minor "recall" matters that would also be fixed while it was there. Nice touch, I thought.
My little chickadee was gracious enough to hang out with her mom again while I was "wheel-less" but she was wheel-less too so we walked across the street from the dealer to go to the mall for lunch.
We went to Kelsey's -- big mistake! Kelsey's used to be a somewhat regular haunt of ours. But the last time I was there, I remember not liking what I had. I thought it was just a fluke. Guess not. Because today's food was barely worth eating! Luckily we had decided to share a sandwich so the damage was minimal. Strike Kelsey's off future lunch destinations.
Anyway, once my car was reportedly ready, we walked back to the dealer (let me just go on record that the distance being walked was significant).
Yeh, my car wasn't ready.
The GPS system was for some reason starting every calcalution from Newfoundland and Labrador.
Newsflash. I was in Ottawa!
So back it went to try to figure out why it picked up the proper co-ordinates for the parking lot in which we were sitting, but when trying to calculate the navigation instruction to take me home, it was starting out in St. John's NL!!!!! That might have proven to be a rather lenghty trip home!
Eventually, I'm told once again that it's fixed.
So we test it.
Seems to be OK.
So I go home.
I sit in my laneway to reprogram the sucker.
I'll see what it does if I ask it to take me back to my little chickadee's place.
Apparently, it can't calculate the route.
Oh dear.
Well, I'll program her three telephone numbers.
At least then I'll be able to tell it to phone her while I'm driving.
Guess again.
Got the numbers programmed alright.
System even indicated that there were three numbers stored against her name.
But when I told it to call my little chickadee at home, it said there was no number.
AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
That was why the system was being replaced in the first place.
We're heading off for a three-day mini holiday on what will be the first real road trip for my new car, with the first true chance to test the GPS system.
I think I'll take along my window-mounted Garmin GPS just in case. I know that works.
In Other News:
My boys were up 10-0 in the 4th inning.
Their lead is down to only two runs in the 6th inning.
Give them long enough they'll throw the game away!

No comments: