Sunday, August 30, 2009

Storage Area Progress

It's getting there.
But I have to pace myself, remember.
So I have to stop and rest often.
By 9:00am this morning, I had already:
  • prepared breakfast for my hungry husband;
  • refilled the suet feeder so the hungry woodpeckers (and various other birds) could have their breakfast;
  • refilled the hummingbird feeder so they could have their breakfast;
  • brewed up another batch of hummingbird food (4 parts water to 1 part sugar). I keep a batch in a juice container in the refrigerator because I can't let those feeders go dry until all my friends have left for the season, usually by the end of September.
My daughter continues to be amazed at the transformation that has happened to me since I moved "out to the boonies," as she calls it. When I lived in the city, I knew a bird was a bird. (I may have recognized a robin by sight and perhaps a blue jay. But the only reason I would have known a blue jay was because they look just like the bird that my boys wore on their baseball jerseys!)
Quite often when we're on the telephone, if I happen to be in the kitchen, I will exclaim something about some bird or other (our feeders are all outside our kitchen window). Which causes her to say, "Who are you and what have you done with my mother?"
I now not only recognize several birds by sight, I also know a lot of their calls. But the hummingbird is a personal favourite.
I remember when John first brought me out here. We were sitting on the porch and he had left to refill our drinks. I was taking in the quiet and just soaking up the solitude (which is something that I dearly love). I heard what I thought was a bumble bee; albeit a very large bumble bee, I thought. I looked up and saw that it was a hummingbird. I couldn't believe it! But that moment started my love affair with the little guys.
How can anyone not delight in watching these little creatures when they put on a show like this?
My boys start playing ball at 1:30pm today and Doc is on the mound again. That's a perfect time to take a real good break from the hard labour of restoring the storage area. It has to wait til John gets home anyway before we can finish so ...

No comments: