Monday, August 3, 2009

Four More Sleeps ...

... til the Back2Back Reunion and I'VE GOT THE JERSEY so I'm good to go.

Yes, John gave me my birthday present a full week early (OK , I picked it up my ownself and I brought it home and I put it on and I showed it to him and I gave him a big kiss and told him thank you and that I LOVE it and then I asked him to take my picture)

Had a most interesting lunch with my daughter yesterday.
Turns out she was under the impression that John had paid FIVE times more than he had for this jersey -- hence her reaction to the gift.
You see, I am hearing challenged. When we were discussing the matter, she had asked, "How much did it cost, $250.00?" but I had heard, "How much did it cost, $50.00?"
And the discussion had gone from there, with my replying, "No, more than that," and her asking questions, increasing the amount by asking, "twice? three time? FOUR TIMES that?" with her voice rising with each increase in price, until she was almost screeching when I finally said, "well, yeh, with taxes." Of course, I thought she had started at a much lower dollar value than she had.
By the time we met yesterday, she was ready to have me committed for paying $1,000.00 for a baseball jersey! And frankly, I can't blame her. Had I actually done that!
Once we sorted out the confusion, we had a good chuckle! She has now given me her blessing to enjoy my birthday gift in good health, claiming that I actually got John a pretty good deal!
She telephoned me a few hours later to ask if I had told John about the amusing confusion over the price and I told her that John said she should have known better than to have even entertained the thought that we would pay that much for such an indulgence. Her response? "Not when it comes to my mother and Joe Carter!"
During the 1992/93 World series runs, I wore my Jays sweatshirt and hat for every game because I was convinced that if I didn't, they could not win that game. So, as of last night, I am wearing the Jersey and my Carter 29 hat (a 1994 birthday gift from my daughter!) while I watch each game.
And obviously it's going to work -- right out of the starting gate, my boys scored five runs in the first inning yesterday! They went on to win the game 7 to 2. And all because I was wearing my Carter Jersey!
Anyway, I'm all set to celebrate my 29th on Sunday, but I still haven't figured out how to explain that name ....
In other news:
Woke up this morning to the welcome news that Karlheinz Schreiber has finally been extradited to Germany -- it's about bloody time! I would have liked to have been there last night to wave farewell as his flight left Canada. Good riddance!

No comments: