Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Two More Sleeps ...

... almost time to go ... that Back2Back Reunion is getting closer and closer.
Unfortunately, my "wearing of the jersey" didn't quite work last night for my boys. Doc tried but he just wasn't up to snuff last night -- he pitched the complete game but lost it 5-3 (and this time, it was his loss). The boys tried real hard to get the win for him but they just couldn't deliver those runs!
I did eventually find the location of that new massage therapist yesterday. I actually called my regular therapist and asked "where the *&*&* is that place anyway?" Once she gave me the exact description of "they just look like a string of homes, I guess" I had no problem recognizing the precise place!
So I did have my massage and all was right with the world.
Until I left the grocery store to head home.
And the skies opened.
And the thunder rolled and roared.
And the lightening lit up the sky for miles (kilometres?) around.
Drivers were pulling off the road everywhere because visibility was down to about nil.
But I trudged on -- I just wanted to get home!
And I did -- safe and sound.
But all tensed up again!
So much for the relaxing massage!
Anyway, today should be another R&R day but I have decided to go into Ottawa to deliver my hearing aids so the replacements can be made.
The last time John had an appointment, you will recall, the audiologist also took moulds of my ears so that new hearing aids could be made for me that would give me what I paid for -- two microphones. Bi-directional hearing comes in especially handy in noisy environments (ie restaurants, our porch when it rains, baseball games).
Because of various scheduling considerations, we had worked out a timeline wherein I would drop off these aids on a day of my choosing (anytime on or after August 5th) so they could be sent to the lab for the replacement aids to be made. I would get my new hearing aids and would have my follow-up check up visit in September, prior to her departure for maternity leave. We have decided that continuity of audiologist is important to our optimal care.
That was all well and good. Except the timeline we had developed had me taking the hearing aids in after our Toronto trip -- some time AFTER August 10th -- which would have meant I would not get my new hearing aids until probably, around August 20th.
But I got to thinking that there might not be much mileage in my having these hearing aids in Toronto anyway -- they don't work in noisy environments and we are going to be in VERY noisy places all weekend.
So, since the audiologist is back from her vacation today, I'm going to take my hearing aids in to her today, this being August 5th. They will leave by courier tomorrow morning.
John already has an appointment to see her on Friday, August 14th -- with any luck, my new hearing aids will be back by then and I can be fitted for them at the same appointment.
I have a "back-up" hearing aid that I can wear in my right ear which will afford me some hearing assistance in the interim (it is the old, single hearing aid that I wore prior to requiring aids in both ears). It's not great, but it's better than nothing and I'm going to have to resort to using that solution at some point in any event. May as well get it over with!

No comments: