Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Return of The Whirling Dervish

A Whirling Dervish -- that's how I often used to be described.
In the not-so-distant past (OK - seems like forever ago) I used to wake up in the morning ready to greet the day head on.
I was always an "up and at 'em Adam Ant" kind of person -- in fact, that is exactly what I used to say to my daughter when I tried to prod her out of bed.
When our children were small, my girlfriend and I would plan occasional "adventures" with our kids -- overnight trips to somewhere. Didn't matter where we were going, for what purpose, no matter what time we had to arrive somewhere -- we hit the road at 6:00am sharp! And when it was time to come home, we reversed the process. Didn't matter that we didn't have to get home at any particular time either -- we left wherever we were at 6:00am sharp! Whoever wasn't ready, was left behind. (OK, not really, but you get my drift.)
I've noticed since these new pain meds are really starting to take effect that my "whirling dervish" behaviour seems to be slowly resurfacing.
  • Because I'm sleeping better, I'm naturally waking feeling more refreshed than I used to.
  • Because I'm waking feeling refreshed, I'm ready to face the day (that's a treat!).
  • Because I'm ready to face the day, my old "up and at 'em Adam Ant" attitude is resurfacing.
  • Because I have no pain, I CAN DO.
  • Because I can do, I MUST DO.
  • But "do" what? Doesn't matter.

Point is -- I can do! And when I do, I do as though I am a whirling dervish. It is, apparently, my nature -- and these new meds appear to be letting the "old me" return. Watch out world, here I come!

No comments: