Thursday, August 13, 2009

Bonnie's Birthday Continues

Yesterday was my physiotherapy day in Ottawa and I also had an appointment scheduled for a hair cut. My hairdresser works from her home and only has evening appointments so I always take advantage of those opportunities to stay overnight at my daughter's place (get to see my beautiful boy.)
As it turns out, my daughter is still on vacation so we had the opportunity to hang out -- which for us means shopping. John always shudders when I come home from such outings; no telling what goodies I might come home with!
From the time my grandson could talk (which was very young) we have involved him in the discussion as to what we should have for dinner "when grandma visits." As happens with children, tacos quickly became the only choice because "grandma likes tacos." Then a while back, it was established that grandma might like KFC sometimes (which happens to be a favourite in that household.) Now, there are only two choices when grandma is coming for an overnighter: KFC or tacos, each of which is equally exciting for my grandson.
Last week, I guess he was thinking it was high time he had some KFC because he asks his Mom, "When is Grandma coming again?"
"I don't know, " said his Mom. "Why don't you call her when we get home, and ask her."
As soon as he got in the door, he grabbed the phone to call me.
We chit chatted and exchanged pleasantries (he's in training to be a man so he tends to answer what's asked; but he doesn't offer much.) Eventually he remembered why he was calling me (or his Mom prompted him) and he asked when I was coming there again. He was quite excited when I told him I was sleeping over on the day he got back from his camping holiday. So he let his Mom know which day I would be there and we kept talking until I let him "off the hook" and suggested he give the phone to his Mom.
He thinks that we don't know what he's up to when he does these things but his Mom and I are on to him. I pretend that he's been missing me and that's why he wants me to visit; and his Mom whispers into the phone to me, "KFC." And later when his Mom asks him what he thinks we should have for dinner, he suggests KFC -- because Grandma's coming!
So, we had KFC for dinner last night, after which they brought out a cake and sang a song to me:

I had help blowing out the candles, but we got them all on the first try!

Before heading home this morning, I took my car to the dealer for its first oil change. They also had to take a look at the navigation system -- it doesn't work the way it's supposed to. A new one has been ordered and they will let me know when it arrives so I will have to go back and have that taken care of. Will be nice to have a reliable (and, hopefully, updated) GPS system.

No comments: