Saturday, May 30, 2009

A Major Crash!

Sorry for the failure to post yesterday but I can explain, really I can!
You see, I stayed overnight at my daughter's place on Thursday -- which is always a delight. However, I only slept 2.5 hours in keeping with my pattern of lack of sleep for the three previous nights. My hips just wouldn't give me relief and there was no getting comfortable. Hence, by the time I left her place to go meet my sister, I was really dragging bottom.
In any event, I had a nice visit with my favourite sister, after which I headed home via a stop in Kanata to buy some goodies for a dinner party we're having on Sunday. As I left there, I received a call that a part that had been on order for my new car had arrived. Since I'm kind of an anxious sort about my new car, I made a U-turn and headed back into the city to have the part installed (a 15-minute job). Then I headed home again and I had a few stops to make en route. I only got home at about 11:30am. Now I had left my daughter's home at 6:30am. That means that I had been in my car, driving, for about 3.5 hours, and when I wasn't driving I was sitting in a restaurant or a car dealer's waiting room. Not a good idea for someone with my physical limitations! I kind of hit the wall big time once I did get home.
After sleeping most of the afternoon away, I was still unable to stay up past 8:30pm last night -- I actually missed seeing my beloved Blue Jays score their big 5-run inning to finally break their losing streak. And I finally slept through the night -- didn't wake 'til 5:00am! Now that fact can also be attributed to my once again following my physiotherapist's advice to add some egg-foam cushioning to my mattress. I don't know how long this will help but for now, it works so we'll go with it.
My doctor has also doubled my pain med dosage -- which I have started doing as of this morning so it will be interesting to see how this progresses. Hopefully, I won't have to endure the headaches again and I will simply enjoy increased pain relief. I'll keep you posted.
My bicycle regimen has been altered, on my physiotherapist's advice. Since it would appear that 17 minutes is too long for me, she has advised me to alternate my bicycle time with 15 minutes one day, and 10 minutes the next. She assured me that there is no shame in my not being able to do more than 15 minutes at a time. I figure that 15 minutes is far better than the zero minutes I was able to do a month ago! I hadn't yet incorporated the 10-minutes-on-alternate-days routine since I was waiting to hit 30 minutes per session before I did that. Since I won't be getting to that threshold, I will do my 15 minutes today as scheduled. On Monday, which would be my next scheduled day, I will again do 15 minutes and will do 10 minutes on Tuesday, thus starting the new regimen on the first day of a new month. I guess that makes it nice and neat.

No comments: