Wednesday, May 13, 2009

I've Made a Decision!

OK, I have come to a very serious decision. I figure since all the medical tests have proven beyond a doubt that there is NOTHING wrong with me (other than fibromyalgia and bursitis) and all my blood work indicates that there are no deficiencies, I have to take charge of things now.
I used to be much smaller than I am now. My doctor has explained numerous times that the weight gain I have experienced over the past several years can be attributed to the numerous and various drugs that have become part of my life (along with the inability to do anything that engages the hips). Since the drugs cannot be eliminated any time soon, and nothing sinister is wrong with my hips, other than that they hurt big time, it is time for me to take serious action toward losing weight and getting back to the "smaller me" that I am more accustomed to being.
I have discussed my thoughts with my physiotherapist and she has approved my plan, with guidelines. I want to return to using the stationary bicycle (which I used to do routinely while watching my beloved Blue Jays -- I would cycle for one full inning every game!) My physiotherapist has advised me that I can do that, but I must start VERY slowly. Here's the program:
  • I can cycle for only three minutes on the first day, with no resistance, adding two minutes each successive session, with one day off in between.
  • I did my first three minutes on the bike yesterday and believe it or not, I had difficulty maintaining three minutes! I wore the TENs machine yesterday to allow me to endure the manipulation of my hips and even so, I still had to rest for a considerable amount of time after exerting myself that way. I have to take a day off today, so I will try five minutes tomorrow, again with the TENs machine attached to me.
  • Given the one on, one off schedule, it will take me two weeks to build up to 15 minutes on the bike.
  • Once I have reached the 15 minute mark, I am then allowed to use the bike every day, continuing to increase the time by two minute intervals, but never exceeding ten minutes on the in-between day (what would have been my "off" day).
  • I should not exceed 30 minutes in one session, a timeline I should reach in one month's time, but I must limit myself to ten minutes on the alternate day (ie I must not ever do two consecutive days of more than ten minutes on the bike).
Of course, I will still be doing my daily stretches and other exercises that I always do. I'm going to start being a little more diligent about using the exercise ball too. Once I have conditioned my hips to this onslaught -- always wearing the TENs machine you realize -- I will slowly add daily walks to my regime (under my physiotherapist's guidance). Hopefully, John will join me on these walks and he too will benefit from my new resolve (one can dream, can't one?).
In the fall, I hope to be able to rejoin the warm water exercise program at Dovercourt Pool. I can't use the services during the summer months because they don't heat the pool in the summer. Their clientele want to be "refreshed" with cooler water. My lungs and muscles simply cannot handle the unheated water so I will try the program again in the fall and see if I can tolerate it.
Bottom line is: I am committed to losing weight and I am going to do it!

1 comment:

Northern Lights said...

Losing weight is a battle in itself. Once you add medical problems to it, it becomes such a great challenge. I have hypothyroidism and diabetes and I'm still struggling but your determination inspires me to try harder. Thanks :)