Saturday, May 9, 2009

Various Updates

So, for the sake of my fanbase I guess I should post updates of various goings on in my life. I should apologize for my failure to post yesterday as I had promised to do but it will become clear why I missed.
  • John's appointment to receive the results of the biopsy on his gallbladder surgery was a resounding success: no cancer! So we were relieved to hear that news.
  • The car I'm driving now? A 2009 Dodge Journey RT -- complete with sunroof; voice activated navigation system (now I can talk back to her!); bluetooth u-connect (gotta have that hands-free cell phone capability!); Sirius Satellite radio for 1 year; rear back-up camera (what a treat that is!); DVD entertainment system (yes, those back-seat passengers will be able to watch videos, complete with wireless headset and remote, while they sit back there in comfort!); heated leather seats; auto dual-zone climate control; remote starter; power everything; under-seat storage (front passenger); under floor storage (rear seats); reclining rear seats (you got it, those passengers watching videos will actually be able to recline while doing so, just like in airplanes -- but don't expect food service!). I'm sure there's other stuff I'm forgetting, but those are the salient points. Most importantly, it is just smaller enough than my Pacifica to make me happy; and it doesn't have the visibility issues that the Pacifica had. I still think it will take me a while to "forget" how much I enjoyed driving the Pacifica because I really did love that car but this is a very comfortable one to drive and I must admit that having driven it for just a day and half, I do find the leather lumbar seat in this vehicle a great improvement over the Pacifica. So perhaps before long, I will love this one just as much I loved my Pacifica. Time will tell!
  • My visit with the new rheumatologist wasn't very productive. As I expected, all my tests showed "normal" -- which absolutely astounded him. He was convinced that the x-rays would show significant osteoartritis and he had hoped that the bloodwork would give him some clues of possible deficiencies; but nothing. His diagnosis? Fibromyalgia and bursitis. He was very disappointed to hear that I only received 10 days' relief from the cortisone injections. He said that he would recommend that I take the shots every 3 months until they worked; his reasoning being that my bursitis has been present for so long that the inflammation is too advanced to be relieved with just one injection. I told him that my family doctor's position is that cortisone simply "does not work" for me and I was going with my family doctor's assessment. I also told him that 10 days' relief every three months was not worth the extra pain that I would have to endure for having taken that shot. So he granted me that. We discussed water exercise so I explained the difficulties I've run into with those attempts. He suggested another pain med which my family doctor had also suggested and my pharmacist had also suggested as being a better choice than the one I've just taken me off. He agreed with my pharmacist's comments that it would be a much safer choice and might be much more effective, perhaps even allowing me to eliminate the Lyrica. So he wrote me a prescription for the new pain med but wants me to see my family doctor and discuss it with him before I fill it. He feels that my family doctor can provide my follow-up care for me from this point on. Message: he doesn't need to see me again since there is nothing more he can do for me. He did invite me to call for another appointment if this new pain med did not work for me. I can't imagine why if he has nothing else to offer? In any event, I now have an appointment to see my family doctor next Thursday, May 14th, to discuss my starting this new regimen. Until then, I will continue managing my own pain as I have been doing.
  • By the time I got home yesterday, it was late morning and I had to visit with John and show him my new car and sort out stuff at home (unpack from my overnight visit etc). John and I went for a drive in my new car over to Carleton Place yesterday afternoon since we had a bit of shopping to do and as we left to come home we got caught in what has to be the worst of hail storms I've ever seen. It was so heavy that cars were pulling off the road everywhere. I could not believe the pelting my new car was taking! I thought surely my new car would be dented beyond measure. I kept saying, "my new car, my new car!" Of course, John sat there constantly opening the window to take yet another picture and letting huge chunks of hail INTO MY NEW CAR all over the leather seats! Anyway, we eventually made it home safely and my new car is tucked into the garage, none the worse for wear. But that was the storm of all storms let me tell you. I have never before experienced one like it and hope to never again!

While I was at my daughter's place on Thursday evening, she gave me a Mothers' Day gift (we don't "do" Mothers' Day because I hate the crowds and we long ago realized that our relationship is so special that we don't really need to mark it with one special day -- every day is special between us). The gift? Jeffrey Archer's novel "A Prisoner of Birth" and frankly, I got my nose into it that very night and now I can't put it down! I am already half way through it and plan to finish it by tomorrow. If I didn't have things to do around here I'd already be finished it! I continue to be in awe of the talent displayed by Jeffrey Archer. There is not one of his novels that hasn't grabbed me with the opening paragraphs and kept me interested right through to the end. He is truly an amazingly gifted writer!

That is why I didn't post yesterday. Now I have to get back to my reading. I will post again whenever I come up for air.

No comments: