Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Still, still waiting ...

So, how long do you suppose it should take for one arm of government to correct an error created by another arm?
As I documented here last week, Canada Post seemingly made a policy change some six months ago wherein my address was altered.
They just forgot to tell me.
So I was never given the opportunity to advise anyone that I had "moved" as it were.
And when the T4As were mailed out (at the same time as the "change of address" became official, you realize), one of my documents was returned (five others arrived in this household, all addressed the same "incorrect" way, I might add).
That kick-started a process about which I knew nothing.
Apparently, my pension fell into a pocket of clients who were being given six months to advise the paying office of their "new" address.  Failing that, the account would be suspended until contact was made (theory being that once the money failed to show up, contact would happen -- fast).
The inevitable happened.
My August pension was not paid and I called the office on August 30th, only to be told the lurid details:  my T4A had been returned.  Had I moved?
Further inquiries at my local post office led me to find out about Canada Post's nefarious policy change which created this fiasco.
In any event, here it is, September 7th and I'm still waiting for that "rush" payment to show up in my bank account.
Fortunately for me, I have the financial resources to cover the shortfall of the late payment (and I was able to act quickly to prevent a disaster).
That's not true of all persons who may have been affected by this screw-up that Canada Post created.
By the way, I'm still waiting for "official" communication from Canada Post that my mailing address has changed.
The Canada Post decision was made fully six months ago and still there has been no communication with its affected clients.  Wonder what they're waiting for.  We're going to find out by osmosis perhaps?

No comments: