Sunday, September 5, 2010

Oh my head is spinning ...

This construction business is too much for my psyche.
I have to decide on flooring.
But what to choose?
And how do I decide?
Nobody seems able to advise me.
I don't know what goes into the choice.
All I know is that I want something that looks nice.
And I don't want to break the bank buying it.
And I don't want to have to do it all over again in five years.
So I guess I want something durable, but sustainable -- and easy maintenance.
Our home is entirely hardwood floor, that badly needs to be redone.
And John and I have been fighting for five years as to how that will be achieved.
So the floors remain a mess.
And I hate it.  They are simply ugly.
I know that they would be lovely if they were redone.
But therein lies the problem.
I want to call in a crew and be done with it.
But John won't hear of it.
He will do it his ownself.
Hence, it hasn't been done yet.
So I want something in my new room that won't run into that problem.
Solution?
Laminate hardwood.
The search began last weekend with my daughter-in-law.
I chose a sample and brought it home.
Fabulous, says John.
Cheap, says my builder (based on the price, alone).
My builder has no idea how to assess the stuff so he tells me who to see at which shop.
I went there and I came home with more samples.
Cheap, says John.  The other is far and away better.
I have no idea how to assess this stuff (and nor does John).
All I know is that I like the piece that I first brought home.
Yesterday, my my little chickadee and I went floor shopping.
She first gave me a piece of the laminate hardwood that was installed in her home six years ago -- still looks fabulous.
We went to the same place she bought her flooring and I was given wonderful information and advice.
And I left there with two samples.
I came home and without tellling John which sample was which, I laid all the pieces out on the floor and asked him to choose.
He selected the first piece that I had brought home (which was also still my choice and was my little chickadee's choice too).
According to the information I have now gleaned, doesn't really matter what I choose.
They all carry "guarantees" -- for whatever that's worth.
So bottom line is, go with what you like.
And that is exactly what I'm going to do.
I will buy the stuff I chose first.
Which just happens to be the least costly of all the samples I've been given.
But it is the floor I like the best and as long as it is installed properly and maintained properly, there is no reason to assume that it won't provide me what I want.  It's not like there will be high traffic in this room -- after all, it's gonna be my sanctuary.

No comments: