Saturday, September 25, 2010

Last day of my Alone Time

This is going to be one very loooooong day.
I've been awake since 4:15am (my usual wake time) and of course I still wake every 2.5 hours to change positions, so in spite of having a well-functioning right hip, I'm still not getting quality sleep.
Hence, I'm not truly rested.
My ability to walk is much better than it has been in a long time because of that latest steroid injection, but my left hip is causing me grief again (is there ever a happy medium?).
That last steroid shot certainly proved beneficial because I no longer feel the bone-on-bone sensation in my right hip when I walk but the effects have worn off in the left hip and it seems worse than it was before I got the shot in that hip.  I'm wondering if I should take another shot in that hip at all, but will discuss that with my doctor before I proceed.
Anyway, I'll spend the morning taking it easy today.  Fortunately, this is Saturday so it's "big newspaper" day, which means I'll loll about reading my newspaper for a good part of the morning.
I have to go into the big city this afternoon to hang out with my little chickadee (that's never a chore, might I add) so that she can take me to the airport to collect John and Toop when they arrive at midnight -- yes, midnight!  I can't drive outside daylight hours and this is not the first time my little chickadee has been called into service for this run.  She is such a sweetheart to accommodate her mother this way!  Fortunately, she lives not five minutes from the airport.
Then, after we drop her off at her place, we'll head home -- which means we won't get home before 1:30am.
Tomorrow, one would think we would need a rest and catch-up day after John had been away for a week but, no -- not in the cards for us.
We have to go back into the big city to attend a funeral tomorrow.  The week before John left for his trip, he received extremely sad news.  His good friend and skeet shooting partner had passed away, one year and two days after that friend's wife had passed.  John left for his trip with a very heavy heart indeed.  Last year, we had attended Verna's funeral the day before John boarded his flight, and this year we are attending Duane's funeral the day after he gets off the plane!
To add to the eeriness of the situation, last year while John was on his trip, I attended the funeral of one of my paternal aunt's sisters (with whom I had been in school). And this year, while he's been away, I attended the wake of another of that aunt's sisters.
I've suggested to John that perhaps he shouldn't be taking that trip any more!
On Monday, we have to be out of here in the morning to catch a mid-day train for Toronto.
That's right!  We're taking our annual Blue Jays trip to see my boys beat dem damn Yanks.
We'll watch Monday's game on Bob's new big screen TV (he had to copy us!) and on Tuesday and Wednesday, we'll be in the same seats we were in last year on my birthday (Sec 228, Row 9, Seats 101, 102 and 103).  Best seats in the house, as far as we're concerned.
On Thursday, the train will deliver us back to the region around 4:00pm.
What I'm saying is, don't look for updates here before Friday of next week.  I'm not taking the laptop with us and while I can use Bob's computer, I just quickly check e-mail and such; I don't stay on it for any length of time so I won't be posting here (I don't think).

No comments: