Thursday, September 16, 2010

My right hip is fixed!

Well, sort of.
And it might only be temporary, but the point is:  it is fixed, for now.
I went for that steroid injection yesterday and oh, this one was uncomfortable to receive (thought I was seeing stars at one point -- not "pain" per se, just pressure that was really not fun but I expect that was because my right hip has historically always been more sensitive than the left anyway).
The immediate response to the shot wasn't very encouraging, primarily because I didn't have the same effect when the left hip was treated.
This time, I was able to walk (gingerly) back to the dressing room, but when I went to get dressed, the act of lifting my right leg to put on my underwear just wasn't happening.
"Are you kidding?" shouted my hip.
So my outer pants were thrown on the floor, onto which my underwear was placed, and I stepped into them and then used my left leg to work the garment up my right leg until I could grab it.  Tricky manouvre that!
Having managed that trick, I also had to put on socks (and eventually tie a shoe).
Ever tried that without bending your leg at the hip?  Ha!
I did eventually finish getting dressed (it's amazing what tricks one can invent when one must) and then slowly made my way back to where John was waiting for me.  Fortunately I had had the foresight to bring my cane with me, anticipating that it might be called upon -- it was.
Getting into the car was the next challenge -- difficult to do that with a leg that wants to be held straight out from the body but I did manage with much grimacing.
Then, about half way home -- I'm assuming as the freezing was starting to wear off -- I became aware of really serious pain in my right groin.  The seat belt was pressing right across the treated area and -- OUCH!!!!  Another rebalancing act was required.
We were almost home when John commented that he didn't recall my having that response with the injection in the left hip.
And then the light went on.
When I got the shot in my left hip, we had stopped for lunch and I had taken a codeine pill in anticipation of the freezing coming out, so I had circumvented the more intense pain that was to follow.
Duhhhhh!!!!  How could I have forgotten that?
I immediately popped a codeine tablet.
My right leg continued to give me discomfort for the rest of the evening, but it wasn't really painful -- it was just reminding me of its presence every time I tried to do anything.  Quite like carrying around a lead weight, really.
Anyway, I went to bed last night and except for waking up choking (a slight "drowning" sensation again) that was quickly brought under control by use of my puffer, I had a reasonably good night (my usual 2.5 hour wake-up calls of course).
And when I woke for the day (4:00am this morning -- also my usual pattern), and rose to get up, there was no pain!
I can't tell you how delighted I am that I have no residual discomfort this morning and my hip is definitely different from what it was yesterday.  When I walk, I have absolutely no sensation of bone rubbing on bone -- must be what "normal people" feel when they walk.
Now, the doctor warned me to take it easy -- no heavy lifting, no strenuous exercise (did he see the look of "if I can, I do" in my eyes perhaps?) -- for at least a week. 
I have to say, it's going to be a challenge for me to keep that admonishment in mind for the next few days because there is so much happening around here and there's so much I want to be doing and I feel sooooooo good!
But listen I will, I promise.  I don't want to lose all the benefit that I might derive just for failure of having followed instructions.

1 comment:

Living It, Loving It said...

Doesn’t sound too pleasant but it seems like you are trying to see the pleasant side of it. Hopefully, you can stay pain free.