Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Why Can't I Get My 2009 Seasonal Flu Vaccine?

So I had a most interesting discussion this morning.
I called a local doctor's office just to make sure that they too are being told NOT to administer the seasonal flu vaccine to anyone under 65 years of age.  And sure enough, they too are operating under that policy. I already know that my doctor's office is taking that position.
During the discussion, it was agreed that the nonsensical policy would just needlessly cause line-ups for the seasonal vaccine right after the line-ups for H1N1 finish.
AND I picked up an interesting piece of gossip.
A patient who had been into that office last week had already received his seasonal flu shot.
But he's not yet 65 years of age so he should not have got that shot yet.
He was asked if he was sure it was the seasonal shot and not the H1N1 etc but he insisted it was the seasonal shot that he had received.
So, he was asked how he managed to get the seasonal flu shot.
Turns out he works a couple of days a week at The Ottawa Citizen.
He told her that The Ottawa Citizen held a seasonal flu clinic for its employees -- and anyone who wanted the shot got one.
I guess that explains why The Ottawa Citizen isn't publishing the letters I'm sending to the editor on this issue.  They don't think there IS an issue.
They don't understand that, outside the walls of The Ottawa Citizen, those of us who are under 65 years of age are not being permitted to get our seasonal flu shot.
And it IS a serious issue for some people.
Makes you wonder how many other "illegal" clinics have been held for the seasonal flu vaccine?

No comments: