Monday, November 2, 2009

H1N1 Clinic Day in Almonte

Today's the day.
I will venture out to the one-day H1N1 clinic being held today for our community of 11,734 residents.
Admittedly, this one-day clinic is supposed to be for high priority groups only so one would expect that not all 11,734 of us will be showing up.
There will be another clinic, at an as yet unannounced date, for the rest of the population -- the "low priority" if you will.
All those other people who are worried about catching the virus, you know.
Like the parents of children older than five years old, with no underlying medical conditions.
Just like some of the children who have already died.
Think they'll be waiting?
I'll find out when I get there at 10:30 this morning.
I don't think there is any reason to show up more than a half hour before the doors are due to open.
Unlike the Ottawa clinics which are now telling people to show up at 7:30am to get their number bracelets for the 2:30pm clinics, (which simply means that people show up at 4:30am for that 7:30am bracelet call for the 2:30pm clinic) we have not been given similar advice.  We don't even know if our clinic will be using the number system but I'm not about to second-guess them on how early I need to show up and I, personally, refuse to wait for more than a half hour before the doors are scheduled to open.
If they're handing out bracelets and assigning blocks of time for people to come back for their shots, that's as good as giving an appointment.
Which is fine by me because I live around the corner from the clinic.
If they are not handing out bracelets and it's apparent that they expect me to stand/sit in a queue for most of the day ... well, that just isn't going to happen and I simply turn around and come home.
Either way, I figure I should be home by 11:00am -- about the time the doors are due to be open.
So I guess, the only way I won't be back home by around 11:00am is IF ....
Are you ready for it?
IF ...
I get there and I am greeted by a civilized organization that suggests that I could be back home by noon having received my H1N1 shot.
Not wouldn't THAT be a surprise??????
I'll let you know what happens.

No comments: