Monday, November 30, 2009

Overnighting in Ottawa Tonight

I'll be overnighting in Ottawa tonight.
My little chickadee has to be away with her job for a few nights and I was called into duty for one of them.  I get to pick up my beautiful boy after school and hang out with him and help him with his homework  (that takes about ten minutes -- only two if I don't help him).
I'm fairly well rested today, although I woke pretty near every two hours all night long.  I did manage to make it 'til 5:30 am before giving up the fight and getting out of bed for the day.
My legs are their usual sore today -- I guess this is my new normal so I may as well get used to it!
I have physio this afternoon so that will fix me up good to put me in fine form to deal with my beautiful boy -- I just love teasing him and rough housing with him.  Prior to taking Lyrica, I couldn't rough house with him but now that I can, I love it!  And he has no qualms about giving right back let me tell you; the boy has no mercy for his grandmother (sort of)!
To fill in the time between my physio and his pick up time, I'll visit a good friend whom I haven't seen in a while.  She runs a day care out of her home so I often stop in for a quick visit after my physio but with all the medical appointments I've had lately, it's been a while since I've been able to see her.  Today, I should be able to stay for about an hour (amidst the chaos that is her work -- five children under five make a lot of racket).
Then once I pick up my beautiful boy, the fun starts.
You see, today is Report Card day.
And he tells me that it will be a good report card.
Worthy of a reward, he says.
We've already talked about what we're doing for dinner (McDonalds, naturally!) and he knows that his homework will have to be done.
And he knows that we are going to my hairdresser's place (it's haircut time again!) before we head back to his home.
So while he's eating his burger or whatever he eats at McD's, I'll examine his report card (probably while on the phone with his Mom) and determine if it's truly worthy of a reward (which it will be -- the only requirement is that he did his personal best).
And then we'll discuss the reward.
And I will steer the discussion toward a particular book that I know he's been wanting.
And once he identifies that, yes, we really should go to the bookstore after we leave the hairdresser's, so we can get that very much desired book, we will agree to do just that!
He'll finish eating, salivating over the book he knows he's going to get later, and thinking what a cool grandma he has.
We'll get in the car to head over to our 5:30pm appointment, he'll get in his seat, and I'll hand him his book -- just like magic it will appear and he'll be able to read it while I get my haircut!
You see, we talked about this particular book the last few times I've been there, and I actually bought it a while ago, intending to give it to him the next time I saw him.
And then his Mom told me that this visit was falling on Report Card day.
So I figured -- Voila!  A perfect excuse to give him the book!
I don't actually need an excuse to give my grandson a gift.  But  a while back, when I expressed the desire to have something for him with each visit (which is not something that I usually do), he said to me, "You don't have to bring me anything." 
So of course, his psychology worked.
Now I WANT to bring him something with each visit (but I still don't because it's never been my habit so I'm having difficulty establishing it as one).
Can you tell that I'm looking forward to this evening with my beautiful boy? 

No comments: