Thursday, April 23, 2009

Such a disappointment!

So, here we are. Day five of my new pain meds and I have been awake since 3:00am because of pain. My next scheduled dose is not due until 9:00am -- I am currently drawing a bath so I can let the massage jets pount away at me and see if that gives me any relief.
What did I do differently? After five days of laying low and "taking it easy" to gauge how I would respond to these new meds, I went into Ottawa yesterday for my physio appointment. On my way in, I stopped to talk to my pharmacist to discuss whether it would be wise to ony take the meds if I needed it. He assured me that it would actually be a good course of action to do that -- to help reduce the "addiction" impact. Other than the first day, however, I had been sticking to the 12-hour regimen and noticing that I was getting about 10 hours relief.
Yesterday, though, by 3:00pm, as I was driving home from the computer store (I picked up my new toy -- an LG R510 Notebook Computer) I was aware that the pain meds had worn off. And by the time I got home, I was exhausted beyond belief. Couldn't even eat dinner I was so tired. Couldn't even stay with my Jays game I was so tired. But I pushed myself to wait out the time to take my next pain med at 9:00pm.
And here I am, at 3:00am -- six hours after taking the last dose -- and my body doesn't know it has had any pain meds. I can't take another until 9:00am. Obviously, this new medication isn't the answer. Apparently, it only works if I sit around the house and do nothing. I need something that works and allows me to have a life, even if that life only involves going into Ottawa for my physio appointment and making a few errands on the way home.
Guess it's back to the drawing board!

No comments: