Sunday, April 19, 2009

Joe Carter, I'll be there!

My beloved Blue Jays are having a Back2Back Reunion from August 6 to 9 this year. Most of the team members from the 1992/93 dyn-o-mite roster that put the Jays on the map way back then will be there.
I have been a fan of the Blue Jays since their inception in 1976, having been a baseball junkie since I fell in love with catcher Elston Howard back in 1963. I can remember racing home from school to catch the last of the Yankees' afternoon games; I had just turned 13 years old! I have had a soft spot for catchers ever since; but then along came Joe ...
During the Jays' drought years since 1993, I have remained a loyal fan. Some would say I plan my social calendar around the Jays' schedule. Can I help it if I love my boys in blue? or black? or whatever colour they might decide to be wearing in any given year? Point is, I love the Toronto Blue Jays.
When I met John in 1995, he was an Expos fan. Today, he is a Blue Jays fan. How's that for conversion (persuasion) skills?
Anyway, the point of this entry is, on the weekend of August 7-9, I will be in Toronto to take in two live Jays games and it happens that Joe Carter will also be there, as will several other players from that era: Rob Butler; David Cone: Kelly Gruber; Juan Guzman; Tom Henke; Pat Hentgen; Jimmy Key; Randy Knorr; Al Leiter; Candy Maldonado; Paul Molitor; John Olerud; Ed Sprague; Mike Timlin; Devon White; and Roberto Alomar. Rance Mulliniks and Pat Tabler, who usually call the games today, will be there as part of the reunion. Wonder who will call the games for the reunion weekend? And yes, Cito Gaston, the most winningest coach of all time, who is back to coaching this year, will also be part of the festivities.
Imagine, all these ex-Blue Jays will be in town to celebrate my birthday -- what fun!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

Natpaul said...

My goodness, have I met you before? I had no idea you had been such a fan of baseball for so long. I'm sure Joe will be very happy to have you there!