Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Woe is me

Yes, that's what I said.
"Woe is me."
Last Wednesday afternoon, my doctor called me with the results of a urine test that we did after I had complained about the sudden urgency I was experiencing every time I had to urinate.  Test came back positive for a UTI.
Doc ordered antibiotics.  Two capsules twice daily for seven days. OK, I can do that.
I'm almost finished the antibiotics and the urgency has stopped so I guess they've done what they were supposed to do.
Except I haven't been well since I started taking them.  I've done an awful lot of sleeping in the intervening days though.
Felt fine BEFORE I went on the damned things, other than the urgency was quite annoying.
On Thursday morning, after we went to vote we stopped at the grocery store.  And while we were walking through the place, my left ear did some wonky thing, causing me to wonder if perhaps the battery in my  hearing aid was about to die. Wasn't the battery (I get a signal when it's finished), but the left ear was definitely weird.
By Friday, I noticed that I was having difficulty putting the hearing aid in my left ear.  Hmmmmmmm.
By Saturday, it was really difficult to put that hearing aid in.  Double hmmmmmmmmmmmm.
What the hell was going on with my ear?
By Sunday, I was really beginning to get concerned.  I was also spending an inordinate amount of time sleeping.  That night, I could feel that something was amiss in my ear, almost like it was scraped raw (probably from forcing the hearing aid into place).
Yesterday, I managed to get the hearing aid in and wore it all day but my hearing was not as it should be.
I got through the day anyway (my stepson and his wife joined us for Thanksgiving dinner).
This morning, I called my physiotherapist's office to cancel my weekly session.  This, after she's been away for two weeks.  I'm just not up to making the round trip into the city.
I've put in a call to my ENT guy to see if he can see me on an emergency basis. I can no longer continue forcing the hearing aid into my ear and what little hearing I have in that ear is now totally obliterated.  By what, I know not.
I don't know what I've done to the ear, but it's driving me nutso.  Obviously, it needs attention and I shouldn't leave it any longer.
Here's hoping he can fit me in by at least tomorrow, when John and I have to go to the city for his appointment with the dermatologist.  Perhaps we could kill two birds with one stone.

No comments: