Monday, July 27, 2009

About that Black Cloud ...

"You really do have a black cloud don't you?"
That was the opening line of an e-mail from my daughter this morning.
Why?
Her next line was: "Saw on the news that VIA is now offering 60% off tickets ..."
You will recall that John and I are going to Toronto for the Blue Jays' Back2Back Reunion weekend in August.
  • We are taking the train.
  • We booked our travel on 18 July (cancellation, exchange fees apply yada yada yada)
  • The charges were posted to our Visa on 20 July.
  • Tickets have not yet been issued (that won't happen until I physically go to the station and pick them up)
  • VIA went on strike on 24 July.
  • VIA came off strike on 26 July.
  • Tickets for our trip have still not been issued (although they have been paid for)

VIA is now offering a 60% discount for anyone who books travel by July 29th to travel by 14th December. Hello. I'm picking up our tickets on 29th July and our travel date is before 14th December.

Had I not already booked our trip prior to the strike, and only booked it today, it would cost me $92.40 less than what I paid prior to their two-day strike. I've sent a note to VIA officials letting them know what I think of that!

Add this black cloud to the airline fiasco surrounding our trip to Nova Scotia, and I'm not liking travel very much (not that I ever DID like travel very much).

It just doesn't pay to be prepared! Apparently, I should leave everything to the last minute cuz it saves money big time. But could my constitution bear all the last minute scrambling and worrying?

No comments: