Saturday, July 18, 2009

I Love Lazy Saturdays!

One of the greatest pleasures of being retired is the pure joy that comes from NOT having to get up and go anywhere in the morning. And I especially enjoy taking my time reading the morning paper(s) over a cup or three of coffee. Most days, that activity takes place in my bed. So I can honestly say that if I don't have to go anywhere (like into Ottawa for physio), sometime I don't "get up" until very late in the morning, although I have usually been awake since between 5:00a.m. and 6:00a.m.
Saturday is one such day when, quite often, I don't leave the bedroom until 11:00am or later -- sometimes I will have to start a second pot of coffee so there will be some for breakfast.
That particular morning pleasure makes for some very interesting eating patterns in our household. You see, over the years John and I have established a "split of responsibilities" that works very well for us most of the time (there are, naturally, variations as required). One of those splits in responsibilities relegated me to breakfast duty. Works for me -- most days, John is on dinner duty!
As for breakfast duty, six days a week, it doesn't take much to pour cereal in a bowl, pop a bagel in the toaster, and Bob's your uncle. BUT, even that doesn't happen until after I've read my morning paper and done my puzzles (I have to do the daily Jumbo and the Sudoku --- I just have to!) On some days, you'll hear John roaming around the house moaning something to the effect of, "If I don't get food soon, I'll fade away" or "I am faint with hunger!" The poor baby really is hard done by because he apparently has no idea how to fend for himself at breakfast time (perhaps that's why it became MY responsibility?).
But Saturday breakfast? That's another story altogether. Once a week, I treat John to a "big breakfast" -- the works: bacon, poached egg, home fries, blood pudding, fried tomatoes, hollandaise sauce, English muffins. He loves it, when it finally lands on the table! Today, I outdid myself. We didn't sit down to this delight until 12:40pm; we finished just as first pitch was happening on our ball game (which we are winning, for a change).
And I didn't even open the second newspaper this morning! That will have to be my bedtime reading tonight.

No comments: