Thursday, July 16, 2009

Our Family Just Got Bigger

So now I can tell you what we were up to yesterday afternoon.
John's #1 son (my step-son) got married yesterday! Last Saturday evening, after other guests had left our dinner party, they announced to us that they were "eloping" on Wednesday. Now, once they had told us, of course, the "elopement" was out the window. I naturally invited us to attend the ceremony so John and I crashed their wedding at Ottawa City Hall.
Our blended family has acquired another daughter, two adult grandchildren, and a few great grandchildren! John is really getting old!
My new step-daughter-in-law and I were enjoying a new level of fun yesterday (we usually do enjoy our time together but yesterday was particularly special). I told her that she had to, just this one time, call me MOM. So of course, she complied -- all evening. And it follows that her adult children will now have to call her new husband DAD (at least once anyway). God help me if they call us Grandma and Grandpa (and what about those great grandchildren)!
The funny part? John is 18 years older than I and his #1 son is eight years younger than I. Our newly acquired "child" is a year older than I; her children (our new grandchildren) are older than and the same age as my daughter (we won't have any trouble remembering our new granddaughter's name -- it is the same as my daughter's). As John said at one point, if I keep this up, pretty soon I'll be my own grampa!
But, my new daughter-in-law queried a much larger problem: I am Mrs. John T. Fowler Sr and she is Mrs. John T. Fowler Jr. And that's OK because my husband is senior and her husband is junior --BUT she is senior and I am junior. What ever are we going to do about that?
I say, listen to your Mom!

No comments: