Saturday, March 5, 2011

Valerian Root is not for me

I've had my suspicions about this valerian tincture since the second time I used it.
You see, each day after I've taken it the night before, I have a nagging cough, such that I wonder if I've used my puffer that morning (it's rare that I forget to take my meds).
So I laid off the valerian root for several days and voila, the cough didn't show itself.
Last night, in the quest for a possible good night's sleep (yeh, right!), I again took some tincture on my way to bed.
Not only did I not get a particularly good night's sleep, today I have that nagging cough again and it's worse than the previous episodes.
My jury is no longer out on this issue.
Just like most other sedation-inducing drugs, I cannot use valerian root because it exacerbates my asthma.
Ask me what that knowledge does to my anxiety about the fact that propofol is the drug of choice for hip replacement surgery.  Oh so many questions to raise with that surgeon in April.

No comments: