Thursday, March 17, 2011

Talk about wearing blinders!

Oh dear, but men can be sooooooooo narrow-sighted, can't they?
John wants PhotoShop CS5 as a birthday gift -- his birthday is April 6th.
We agreed that I would get it for him (we don't usually surprise one another).
BUT, he said, he couldn't possibly wait until his birthday, he needed it NOW.
Well, I explained, I'm "between" coupons at Staples right now so as soon as one comes in, I'll order it (I regularly receive $ off if my order exceeds a certain dollar limit).
Yesterday's mail brought with it one of Staples' many flyers, complete with savings coupons.  I promptly hit the "Easy" button, but didn't tell John that I had done it.  (I'm not sure how he didn't notice the flyer.)
He was out today when the order was delivered.
I said nothing (but I had posted on Facebook yesterday that I had ordered it, and I posted today that it arrived).
When he returned home today, there was another mailing from Staples, this time specific savings coupons addressed to me.  I threw them aside in disgust, because one of them offered a better savings than I had made with yesterday's coupon.
Later, he asked me what they were.  "Oh," I said, "not good enough.  The spend limit is too high -- I'd have to order two boxes of paper to qualify."  (Not true.)
He accepted what I told him, asking how much our order was short.  ($50.00 was my additional lie.)
Then he suggested that I call Staples and ask them if we could make a deal .
"What deal?" I asked.
"Well," he suggested, "tell them that we have an order but it's $50.00 short for the coupon and ask them if they can make us a deal."
Oh dear.
His gift is sitting here.
Just waiting for him to read Facebook (or this blog).
Then I can give him his gift, fully three weeks before his birthday, because he is such a spoiled brat!
daily deals

No comments: