Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Getting back to business

OK, folks, time to buckle down again.
You might recall that a year ago, I was hanging on by my fingernails, fighting not to lose any more weight.
Yeh, well, that's changed.  I've slowly increased from that point, to where I am now almost seven pounds heavier than I was then.  And I'm actually an inch shorter than I used to be.  Soooooo, my ideal weight is a tad lower than I thought it should be.
Ergo, I want to lose more pounds.
I've decided that I should lose fifteen pounds before I have the hip replacement surgery, and there's only one way to do that -- get moving!
Seriously, so low is my food intake already, that the only way I could reduce it is to stop eating altogether. Therefore, the only way I can lose those pounds is to get moving.
I know, I know, every time I start doing "exercise," my pain level goes through the roof.  But I'm simply going to have to grin and bear it.
I've started wearing the TENs machine again, although I can only tolerate it for two hours a day so I have to be judicious about which two hours I select.   Since I don't derive any residual benefit from the danged thing, I have to pick and choose when I wear it -- so I use it when I need to perform particular chores that are especially physically demanding.  Even at that, I've started having an allergic response to the electrodes from the cumulative effect of its use.
Can't win for trying.  *Sigh*
So, I've decided to start walking again.
And I started this morning.
But given the hilly terrain in which I live, and the icy/muddy conditions outside, I'll do my walking at home.  So I cleared a trail through the house, picked up my walking poles and off I went.
The first five minutes were a breeze, albeit boring as hell!
The second five minutes were deadly.
So my first "outing" lasted ten minutes, which is where my physiotherapist wants me to stop anyway.
But she wants me to do that at least twice a day.
I'll see if I can manage a second outing later today, although my gut is telling me not to push it when I'm just embarking on what is really a new regime for me.
My physiotherapist has always told me to "listen to my body," so that is what I'll do.
If my body indicates that it can handle another outing later this afternoon, another outing I will attempt.  Otherwise, we'll try again tomorrow.
daily deals

No comments: