Monday, July 12, 2010

Something is Amiss

It would seem that something is just not right around here.
Now John is complaining of leg pain -- maybe it's catchy!
Of course, we know that's not the case but sure seems odd doesn't it?
Since our walk on Saturday morning, we've both been "out of sorts," as it were.
By that evening, I could barely put one leg in front of the other.
By yesterday evening, he was having difficulty.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.    Certainly does give one pause.
Anyway, he applied liniment to his legs (the pain is down the front, below the knees -- as though he utilized muscles that weren't used to being called into action, which we know is not the case because he walks every day and is much more active than I).  The liniment, he says, did little to alleviate the discomfort.
But, he -- like me -- is going about his business as usual, just a tad slower than the norm.
The show must go on, as the saying goes.
As for me, I slept marginally better last night than the previous few.  I'm taking my "old" sleeping aid again because I can't allow myself to get too sleep deprived -- I guess it worked.
My legs are still some sore this morning but I went for my walk anyway.
John didn't join me today, opting instead to take another day off.
The hill almost did me in (and that is just one minute up the road).  I thought I was going to have to turn around at that point.  Unbelievable!
But I pushed on and continued walking for the full eight minutes that I had vowed to do.  I walked at a considerably slower pace than I had built up to on earlier outings so I was surprised when I made it as far as I did (apparently, my pace wasn't as slow as I perceived it to be).
Coming back, however, proved to be almost impossible.
I wasn't even half way home when my legs and lungs started objecting big time.
Had me wondering if I was even going to make it home.
So again, I slowed right down (not like I had a choice -- I was truly struggling to move at all).
Yet, when I reached home, I had been gone precisely sixteen minutes!  I don't know how that works.
I got in the house, quite out of breath and tired.
John suggested that my "OK" response to his "How did it go?" didn't sound very convincing.
Tomorrow, I will again only do sixteen minutes.
Historically, whenever I've pursued an exercise program too quickly, I've caused a flare-up to the point where I've had to abandon the exercise.
I don't want that to happen with this.
It's possible that I might have to limit my walking to sixteen minutes for a while.  We'll see what my physiotherapist recommends.
Perhaps sixteen minutes is my personal maximum right now.

No comments: