Sunday, July 18, 2010

I'm holding my own ...

Today's walk took an extra half minute -- on the return portion.
I always check the time when I head out, and I turn around to come home precisely eight minutes later.
Today, it took me a half minute longer to get back than it took to go out.
That's partially because John was almost keeping pace with me, or I slowed my pace to walk with him, (not sure what came first, the chicken or the egg).
The damned hill continues to be a challenge.  It was much more difficult to get up today than it was on Friday.  My heart rate climbed to 126 this morning, and I was gasping for breath.  Fortunately, my recovery seems to be quick once I'm at the top, so I'm not too concerned about it.  Obviously, asthma is the culprit, rather than a heart issue, I'm sure.
I'll discuss it with my physiotherapist because I'm not too clear on how the heart rate figures into this -- should I push it or what?  All I know is my maximum heart rate is 130 and, obviously, there is no way I'm "conditioned" to that rate already.  But, how high should I be letting my heart rate get?  My "comfort" range right now would appear to be 110-115 -- but I don't know if that's a "work-out" per se.
Again, my asthma has to be taken into account so perhaps I might have to limit my heart rate to the 115 range and be careful not to exceed that (I seem to get into serious breathing difficulty if it gets beyond 120).
My eight minutes this morning took me several paces shy of the Nelsons' place -- about as far as I seem to be getting on these outings lately.
Which means that I'm not actually progressing; just holding my own right now.
I found the walk quite difficult this morning and really wonder if taking a day off is the wisest thing to do.
Why?
Because Friday was less difficult that Thursday.
I took Saturday off.
And today I have difficulty again.
I'll watch to see if that pattern emerges.
And if does, I'll rethink my planned schedule.

No comments: