Sunday, April 1, 2012

April Fools Day

This day used to be one of my favourite, as a child.
My father was a regular practical joker, so we never knew what to expect on April 1st.
The stunts started in the wee hours of the morning, with my father waking us and telling us we had overslept.  It was time to get up.  We were late for school.  Hurry.  He would even be ready to serve us breakfast before he'd shout "April Fools" and send us all back up to bed to finish our night's sleep.
Or he'd make the phone ring (easy stunt to pull in those days), pick it up, and hand it to one of us.  There'd be nobody there, of course.  "April Fool," he'd snicker.
I'm not sure who got the bigger kick from the day.  My father or the rest of us who weren't the victims of  that particular prank.
Try as we might, we could never "trick" my father.  He always said, "Don't try to fool a fooler."  Or something like that.
Anyway, in the spirit of the day,

No comments: