Sunday, April 15, 2012

Gosh, fibro sucks!

I hate to whine about this, because everyone knows that fibro sucks.
But really, last night I slept eight hours, straight through.  Didn't even get up to pee!
I should be really well rested.  But I'm not.
I feel like I've been run over by three Mack trucks (at least it's not twenty this time!).
The reason?  Because I'm not getting restful sleep.
Now, part of that could be because I'm not using the CPAP machine.  (I can't use it while my nose is healing but truth be know, I haven't been using it since my surgery -- for a variety of reasons).  I'll start using it again as soon as my nose is healed sufficiently well to allow it.
The main reason for this sustained fibro flare-up is lack of exercise while I'm still in the recovery phase of my hip replacement surgery.
The physiotherapist was insistent that I not get back on the stationary bike until at least the twelve-week mark (Monday will be eleven weeks).  I will be seeing her for my final visit on the twelve-week anniversary of my surgery.  The first question out of my mouth will be, "Now, can I start using the bike again?."  Her answer best be "yes."
She understands that I am anxious to get back on the bike primarily because my body needs the activity.  While I was doing the bike one-hour-a-day prior to my surgery, I was not having flare-ups.  My energy level was increased and I was feeling, generally, better than I had in a long time.  All because I was exercising.
But the inactivity of rehabbing is counterproductive to my well-being as a fibromyalgic.  I need more movement.
Of course, we also still have to address the problem of my inflamed SI joint, which continues to give me fits, making movement very painful.  I'm hoping that once I get back to my regular physiotherapist in May, she will get that under control.
I know that once I'm back to seeing her every week, I'll enjoy continued improvement in my mobility and in my overall good health.  And by then, I should be able to be using the stationary bike (although I know I'll have to start slowly and build up to that hour again).
But in the meantime, fibro sucks.  Big time!

No comments: