Monday, April 23, 2012

Twelve weeks post op

Today marks twelve weeks since my hip replacement surgery.
It also marks twelve days since my Mohs surgery on my nose.
Both are healing very well indeed.
I went for x-rays of my hip this morning, results of which I have to take to the surgeon when I see him for follow-up next week.  Since I have the CD, I naturally made copies of the images for my file.  It's really cool to see that phony hip inside my body:
I also went to what was supposed to be my final physiotherapy session this morning.  Fortunately, the clinic is housed in the hospital where I had the x-rays done, so I didn't have to travel too far to get from one appointment to the other.  
My SI joint is almost under control.  I've been applying ice to it very regularly so the worst of the swelling has gone down.  I'm using the TENs machine throughout the day, and before I go to bed I use the Acupen on it.  That usually allows me to have a reasonably good night's sleep.
It's such a joy to wake in the morning without pain.  In fact, the past two mornings, I opened my eyes and the first thought that jumped into my head was, "Wow, my SI joint isn't yelling at me!"
So perhaps I'm getting ahead of the problem.
The physiotherapist taped them again today so we'll see how I do with that.  But first, she gave me an ultrasound treatment.  I'll go back on Wednesday for another session.  That should give me relief until Thursday when my massage therapist will do her magic.
Then I'll just have to endure until Tuesday of next week when I'll see my pain management physiotherapist and we'll start with my weekly acupuncture sessions again.  She will continue the ultrasound treatments until we get this problem licked.  Surely, that will get it under control!
But, with what I'm doing now, I can at least sit for a little while before the pain starts.  A week ago, I couldn't sit at all.  I was in absolute permanent agony.
I had a couple of questions for my physiotherapist this morning:
When can I start doing the stationary bike again?   Not until my SI joint is no longer an issue.
Damn!  I so badly want to get back to that exercise regime.
How come I can't yet manage to get into/out of my bathtub?  That will come.  But in the meantime, there are "bath lifts" designed for lowering yourself into tubs, for just this problem.  I should check with home health care drug stores.  She doesn't think they are too costly.
More research to do! (I am desperate to take a jet massage bath.)
As of Wednesday, I'll be on my own, as far as my hip rehabilitation is concerned.  The physiotherapist told me that rehab for a hip actually takes six months to a year.  Yet they discharge you at twelve weeks (obviously, once you can walk without assistance, you hardly need their intervention).  
I'll see the surgeon next week and it is my understanding that I will then have to see him once a year for the rest of my life.
Should we decide to proceed with replacement of my right hip of course, I'll be seeing him a little more frequently.
Then it will be my knees.  And I have two of them.
Then it's my shoulder. (Right now, only the right shoulder is a serious problem.  But give it time; the left one is starting to whimper.)
Now I know why the surgeon was so pleased to make my acquaintance.
Good thing I don't live in the good old U S of A!

No comments: