Wednesday, May 18, 2011

I'm on the "Wait List"

I saw the second opinion surgeon this morning.
He is now my official orthopaedic surgeon.
He was very definitive about it too.
"No question you will benefit from hip replacment," he said.  "So, if you're interested in proceeding with this, my wait list is nine to ten months."
Of course, I had already been given that information, so it came as no surprise to me.
"Can I be put on a cancellation list?" I asked.
"Yes," he laughed.  "But, I have to tell you that almost everyone is on that list too."
So, obviously the wait list and the cancellation list are essentially the same list.
Oh well.
He asked if I had ever had steroid injections, and (yet again) I explained that I had enjoyed twelve weeks of bliss last summer when I took a shot.
"Do you want another one?" he asked.
"I'm actually booked for one on June 9th," I replied, "so I guess it's OK that I go ahead with it?"
"Absolutely," he said, "you may as well get relief where you can while you're waiting."
I like the way this guy thinks.  I think we'll get along just fine.

No comments: