Thursday, May 19, 2011

Another long day ahead

I'm facing another long day on the road today.
Not good planning, I know but sometimes these things just happen.
Today's commitment had been booked for some time, and then I got the call last week to see the surgeon yesterday morning.  I certainly wasn't going to say no to THAT one.
So, two consecutive days of mucho driving, but them's the breaks.
Today, I'm picking up my good friend, RLR, to take her for a steroid injection in her SI joint.  We'll go for breakfast first and have a nice confab so the trip will also be a social visit, which is always enjoyable.
Now, originally, when she was given the appointment and she asked if I would be able to provide taxi service, I agreed and proceeded to rework my massage appointment to accommodate her (moved my massage from Thursday to Wednesday).
Then I got the call to see the surgeon on Wednesday.
Ooops.
Changed physio from Tuesday to Wednesday.  Didn't want to be going into the big city on Tuesday for physio, then again on Wednesday to see the surgeon, then again on Thursday as a taxi.
So my massage therapy had to be cancelled altogether because it simply wouldn't work.  There was no way we could fit the timing to allow for a massage.  (Why do my therapists only work Tuesday through Thursday anyway?)
Sometimes you just gotta do what you just gotta do.
Now I've left a message for my therapist to ask if there is any way she can fit me in, even for a half hour session, at the end of her day today (which is 2:45pm - 3:00pm) so she can work her miracle on my SI joint.  I enjoyed so much benefit from whatever she did on Saturday that I'd really like a repeat treatment because it is starting to seize again.
My physiotherapist wasn't at all surprised to hear that my SI joint is giving me problems.  She told me that many of her patients who have hip problems also present with SI issues, eventually, because the inability of the hip to function properly causes stress on the SI joint.  It is inevitable that one would develop problems in that area.  So she added acupuncture needles to those points as well (we must be up to 50 by now).  She was really pleased to hear that massage gave such profound relief (and was delighted to learn that I'm finally wait-listed for hip replacement).
With any luck, my massage therapist will be able to fit me in as I'm returning from my taxi duty today and she can work out the kinks I will have developed from two days on the road.
I sure hope she can take me because our calendar has us going into the city again tomorrow evening for a benefit, and then again on Saturday for dinner at John's gun club.
Fortunately, I have a full day to rest between each of those events, but I can see the flare-up coming now ...

No comments: