Saturday, May 7, 2011

Decisions, decisions

In the past month, I've received three calls from the Queensway Carleton Hospital, offering me dates for that third cortisone injection (second one in my left hip joint) that was requisitioned last September (before I was referred for hip replacement assessment).
So far, I've managed to hold them off because of the potential for hip replacement surgery and they just keep my name in the queue until I tell them to take it out altogether (which is what I would do, should I actually confirm a date for surgery).
When they called again yesterday, giving me a June 9th appointment, I decided to take it.  I figure I may as well have a twelve week holiday from the pain while I wait to hear from the second opinion surgeon, especially since I know that even once I see him, I'll still have to wait a further nine to ten months for surgery.
So, I'll get that shot.  And I'll enjoy my summer.
If I haven't seen the surgeon before June 9th, I guess I won't seem like I actually need surgery when he examines me because I'll be in the benefit period of that injection.  Hopefully, he'll understand that and assess me accordingly.  He'll have to take my word for what I can't normally do though.  (I'm assuming I will see him at least by the end of the summer.)
It really is a crap shoot though.
I am now nine months removed from the last injection and I wanted to be as far from the effects of the steroids as possible when I have the surgery (because of my breathing issues with anaesthetic).  If I don't have this shot, I'll be that much further removed from having had any steroids when and if the surgery eventually happens.
However, in the absence of any evidence that I will have surgery (the second opinion surgeon could assess me as not needing it), I have to take relief when and where I can get it.
I'm not a gambler so I'm going with the sure bet -- I know absolutely that the injection will give me a holiday from the pain and I so want to be able to enjoy the summer.
But I hope I'm not impinging on my chance of gaining long-term relief by taking the shot.
I'll send my doctor a message, outlining the conundrum I'm now facing and I'll ask for his advice.  If he feels I shouldn't go ahead with the injection, I'll cancel the appointment.

No comments: