Thursday, May 5, 2011

The games have only just begun!

We had an election night dinner party here on May 2nd; invited two couples to join us to watch the election results roll in.
We deliberately planned the evening for an 8:00pm sit-down so that we would be finishing our meal on time to hear the good (or bad) news.
Before dinner, each of us had recorded our predictions for each party's seat projection, and those papers were put aside until the final tally was obvious.
Of course, the only discussion all evening was political in nature (fortunately, we were all of the same persuasion).
The interesting thing was, I had recorded my projections on the morning the writ was dropped back on March 26th.  A few weeks into the campaign, I was asked if I wanted to change my numbers.  "Not at all," I said.  "At least not for the winning party, I don't.  Perhaps the others might change places, given the way the campaign is going, but my projection for a majority government still stands."
Sadly, I was wrong.
I underestimated the size of the majority by five seats.
The Bloc was decimated -- which is what I had hoped for but not quite what I had projected.
And Iggy got what he deserved -- I had been generous with my projection for his success, giving him five more seats than he won.
But the Dippers?  My projection for them was to give them what was left once I had apportioned seats to the other parties.  But I never thought they'd actually do it.  And I was 20 seats shy of what they actually achieved.  Unbelievable!
Now, Jack really has his work cut out for him.  Bringing all those newbie MPs to Ottawa and forming a cohesive caucus with them will be a herculean challenge.
But I really feel sorry for the administrative arms of the House of Commons.
The poor staff had probably not yet finished educating the new MPs from the 2008 election in the workings of the House, and now they have to start over with a fresh new crop of people, but this time it is with several who have never even held jobs before.  Oooohh la la, it's going to be chaos in the printing and post office divisions for some time to come.
And the Pay and Benefits staff?   They have to prepare the paperwork and offer support for all the outgoing MPs (and their staff), while bringing on strength all the new MPs (and their staff).
What a circus that place will be (more so than it usually is, I mean).
And then there's the assignment of office space.
Those few remaining Liberal MPs lose the office space they had been occupying, since they are now the third party in the House.
Even the Bloc MPs lose their office space; they don't even have official party status.
The Dippers, who previously got leftovers as the fourth party in the House, now get first dibs on prime space (after the Government, of course).
I know of what I speak, having spent many years and gone through many election cycles on Parliament Hill, I have witnessed first hand the nightmares that result following these events.
Oh the games have only just begun!
daily deals

No comments: