Monday, May 16, 2011

Fifty years already?

A newspaper story caught my eye this morning.
It would seem that today marks the 50th anniversary of John F. Kennedy's first visit to Ottawa.
Fifty years!!!!
I remember the day like it was yesterday.
I just checked a perpetual calendar for May 16, 1961 and that date fell on a Monday -- which for an almost 11 year old most certainly would have been a school day -- explaining why the event I remember occurred in the late afternoon (after I returned home from school).
I clearly recall hearing on the radio that Kennedy was in Ottawa and that his motorcade would be making its way down Sussex Drive.
We lived a very short distance from Sussex Drive so I hightailed it out of the house, intent on getting a glimpse of the man.  (Apparently, my political junkie roots are well established.)
I ran as fast as my legs would carry me and made it to Sussex Drive just as the motorcade was approaching.
Being a child, it wasn't difficult to burrow my way into the front of the crowd that had already gathered.
And as the motorcade passed us, John F. Kennedy looked right at me, smiled, and waved -- to ME!
My heart was racing as I made my way home to tell everyone that he waved to me, he actually waved to ME!
Now, I know that he was waving to the crowd, but as far as my little girl's heart was concerned, that wave was meant only for me.
That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
Fifty years you say?
Can't be.
I'm only 29!

No comments: