Saturday, May 21, 2011

If there was doubt before ...

... there is no more.
All I have to do is remember last night.
After having made trips to the city on back to back days on Wednesday and Thursday, I was feeling like I'd been hit by a couple of mack trucks yesterday.
Paying the price, one might say.
And last evening, we went BACK into the city to attend a fundraiser (which was hugely enjoyable, I will admit).
We first went for dinner, after stopping in at John's gun club to deliver medals for the skeet competition that is happening this long weekend.
We parked within a city block of where the fundraiser was taking place.
I used my cane because in addition to the walk from the parking lot, there would be "milling about" to view the various displays before we moved into the theatre for the program.
Well!  Let me tell you, folks.
Before it was time to retire to the theatre, my left hip was letting me know that it needs to be replaced.
And by the time we were seated, I was in absolute agony!
At the intermission, I headed off to find water so I could take a codeine tablet and hopefully get some relief (as usual, it only afforded minimal reduction in pain).
I leaned over to John and whispered, "If I ever again even hint at doubt about needing this hip replaced, just remind me about tonight."
"I don't think I'll have to remind you," he said, "you're not likely to forget."
Last night was perfect reinforcement of what my physiotherapist has been saying all along.  The only reason the pain has remained at bay was because I wasn't doing anything.  But as soon as I attempt activity even close to normal, it's no go.
Of course, sleep has been out of the question because now I'm "in a crisis," as my physiotherapist calls it.
I'll try to get some rest at some point today before making an appearance at John's gun club for tonight's dinner.  John has to go over around 1:00pm to officiate at one of the competitions, but I'll wait until closer to eating time and just show up for the social.
And tomorrow, I'll die!
But, let there me no doubt about it, folks.
If I want to have a life, this hip has got to go.

No comments: