Friday, October 1, 2010

For my fan base

OK, I notice that my fanbase continued checking in with this blog, in spite of my indication that there would likely be no postings before today.
This will have to be quick too because I have things to do (and I don't permit myself to play until my work is done).
Our trip to Toronto was a wonderful break for me.
We took the train because I can't manage the long car ride.
Monday evening, our host prepared a marvelous meal of ribs and corn on the bar-b-que, which we ate while we watched the ballgame (our boys beat dem damn Yanks too!).
On Tuesday, I sat around all day reading, which was precisely my plan.  That evening, we went to the ball game (dem damn Yanks beat our boys -- damn!).  My other daughter, who lives in Vancouver, just happened to be in Toronto visiting her aunt and she and her man were at the game too.  I had given her our seat numbers so they came 'round to say 'hi (and enjoyed our cushy accommodations compared to the nosebleed section they were in).
On Wednesday, I again sat around reading all day (this was a true holiday for me and it did me the world of good). 
The game that evening was fantastic.  There was a pre-game farewell ceremony for Cito Gaston because this was the final home game of the season and this is his final year as manager.  Joe Carter was there, as was Pat Hentgen, Devon White and George Bell -- each of whom received huge applause as they were introduced.  But when the CEO of Rogers was introduced, the place erupted -- in boos.  It was amazing!  And it did my heart good to hear that so many people, collectively, disliked the Rogers Corporation.  I sure hope that Rogers got the message loud and clear!
Anyway, the game itself was perfect -- it was great fun to hear the crowd participate so actively, something we haven't seen in many years at Rogers Centre.  Every time Derek Jeter went to the plate, the booing would start.  And when it was A-Rod's turn, the crowd didn't wait for him to be announced -- you couldn't even hear his name for the booing.  The crowd was having fun indeed!
And we beat dem damn Yanks handily.  So we again took the series from the Yankees and the crowd left happy indeed.  It was a truly wonderful close-of-the-season game.
Yesterday, our host delivered us to the train station for our noon departure and we arrived home around 5:30pm.  John had to pick up Toop at the kennel before 7:00pm so we were just under that deadline.  And we both managed to stay awake to see our boys win last night's game against the Twins, another team that is headed for post season play.
Today, I have lots to do to catch up on laundry, bookkeeping, and little things around the house before the builder shows up on Monday to resume work on my sanctuary/grandson room.  Once that gets under way, I will post "View from my kitchen window" photos again as the project progresses.
That's it for now.
Gotta run ... got places to go, things to do ...

No comments: