Monday, October 11, 2010

These hips have GOT to go ...

Well, I don't know what's going on with my hips.
But I'm thinking that the last sterioid injection has not given me the same lengthy benefit that I had enjoyed with the first one.
I say that because my hips (and upper legs) have started aching again like bad toothaches.
And oh, I don't like it one damned bit!
Now, there must still be some benefit because I must say the pain isn't quite as bad as it used to be.
But it is painful -- every step is excruciating again.
And touch hurts.  That means that inflammation is back -- big time.
Logic tells me that I brought some of this on by doing too much on two consecutive days ("moving" on Friday and Saturday) and then hopping into the car and driving into Ottawa yesterday to enjoy Thanksgiving dinner with my little chickadee and her family.
But really, a person has to live!
And I took a painkiller on my way into Ottawa because my hips were burning before I left home.
We had a wonderful afternoon at my little chickadee's place; the meal was truly fabulous (where ever did that girl learn to cook I wonder?).  My beautiful boy wasn't there though.  He had gone off to have fun with his cousins (MFN was visiting and had stopped by so he went with her family to visit a local tourist attraction and they had a blast).  He did get back before we left so I at least got to see him briefly (and collected several hugs in the process).
By the time I got home, my hips were screaming in agony!
I've been training myself to sleep on my back lately (not having the greatest luck so far but these things take time) so at least I'm getting some rest each night.
I guess what I'm saying is ... looks like it's time to pursue a visit with a surgeon to discuss my options because this nonsense can't continue.  We already know that steroid injections are not feasible for the long term.  As I understand it, science has come a long way in recent years.  There's a lot more to be offered in the way of hip replacement now than what used to be on the table.  So I should really pursue those options.
Because it's crazy to go on like this!

No comments: