Sunday, October 17, 2010

Sorry for the lack of posts

I haven't been "up to snuff" of late.
On Friday, I had an appointment with my eye doctor so that kind of wiped out my day (she put those damned drops in my eyes so my vision was impaired for the rest of the day).  I have to drive a half hour to get there too, so the drive back was not fun (thank God for alternate routes and sun glasses).  I kind of just vegged for the rest of that day.
My sleep has really been touch and go lately too since both hips have decided to let me know about the ever-present bursitis.  Neither one will let me lie on it for any length of time so the need to sleep on my back has become immediate and I'm not winning that battle.
On Saturday, because I am so very fatigued now, I just vegged again.  I'm having great difficulty putting my mind to anything so I'm putting my mind to nothing.
Hence, I haven't been blogging.
When I started this blog, I vowed to myself that it would not be a "woe is me" type discussion.  So I try not to blog at all when my mood is not right.
And my mood has not been "right" lately so it's difficult for me to apply myself to this undertaking.
I'm quite sure that a lot of this mood deflation comes from the chaos that is my living quarters at the moment -- and the fact that I have no control over its state.
We were of the opinion that the pantry wall would be broken through on Wednesday last, so the pantry had to be emptied, which it was (that was no easy undertaking, and it was not achieved overnight).
Well, the boys showed up but they didn't quite break through the wall.  I made it clear that if the soffit and eaves were not closed up, they were not to open that wall unless the main house could be protected from the birds that might fly through (I have an "Alfred Hitchcock" phobia about birds and I will NOT risk having them flying through my home).
Based on that warning, the builder altered his approach to the project and by Thursday, he proceeded to build the closets in the new room while his assistant dismantled the pantry shelves to ready that room for the hole that will have to be cut.
These are the "before" and "after" shots of my beloved pantry.  I tell you, it's going to be a major challenge to accommodate all the holdings of that room in what will be left of the space once the entrance to my sanctuary is constructed.  (A new "pantry" will be built in the remaining space, and it will be considerably smaller than the one it is replacing.  *Sigh*)
Also on Thursday, the electrician visited to assess his task (which will be undertaken next week).  The contractor who will install the siding also visited so we could choose the colour for the outside of the room (John and I actually chose the same one!).  He will deliver the material on Monday for the builder to install the soffits (after which the hole can actually be cut to the main house).
Apparently, the steel for the roof will also be delivered next week so things should start happening again.
I guess what I'm saying is, I'm "down" because there has been no tangible progress on the project for too long now.  I had expected it to be further along than it is by now.
My builder is a hunter and November is deer hunting season so he will again be taking time off to try to shoot a deer or two or three.
And I know how much still needs to be done, and how much "finishing" is required before I actually take occupancy.  Not to mention how much "returning of kitchen" needs to be done before I can even think of fixing up my sanctuary the way I might want it.
Sure, everthing will be moved to the new room, but I won't be able to address the functionality of the room until I have the house back to normal again (responsibilities before play).
So I'm thinking it might be Christmas before this project is actually ready for functional occupancy.

No comments: