Thursday, May 13, 2010

I slept nine hours !

Finally, I slept!
Yesterday, was a day from hell.
It started with way too much on my plate and I had had too many stress-filled days leading up to it.
You see, when John gets a new computer, my life gets thrown upside down.
And John got a new computer a few weeks ago but the techie only came out on Tuesday to do the install.
I had stayed overnight in Ottawa on Monday night so that I could be at my doctor's appointment on Tuesday morning (I am so healthy I'm going to live forever, according to my medic).
Tuesday was essentially lost because the day was spent effecting the changes that were required to get John up and running again (as I've said before, he has a very complicated set-up).
But when I went to configure his PhotoShop CS4 the way it needed to be, I noticed that his new computer had not been built the way we ordered it:  they had installed the operating system on the smaller of the two hard drives.  A call to the shop before we put anything else on the system was appreciated by the boys, although it meant another trip out here so the error could be corrected.
So, computer guy was back here by 9:30am yesterday to make the switch.
Now, I don't like to be rushed in the morning but yesterday was also cleaning lady day.
And I had a meeting at noon at my bank.
And John wanted to go to the gun club in the afternoon.
That meant that we both had to be showered and ready to go before 9:30am because neither one of us would have time after computer guy left.
And we had to have breakfast too (something I have great difficulty doing immediately upon getting up -- I need to wait a while before I put food into me).
And John was desperate for a haircut so we threw that into the mix (just to keep life interesting around here).
What I'm saying is, I hit the ground running yesterday and I didn't stop until 2:30pm.
By then, it was too late.
My meltdown had started.
I tried to prevent it but was powerless to do so.
Now, I know that it wasn't yesterday alone that caused the meltdown.
It was the cumulative loss of sleep combined with the "too much on my plate" that caused the meltdown.
Whatever the cause, a meltdown occurred and it was not fun.
So, last night, although I was dog-tired, I took a sleeping aid anyway.
I finally shut my eyes at 10:15pm last night.
And I'm happy to report that I only woke once -- ever so briefly at 4:30am -- and I went right back to sleep until 7:15am.
That makes nine hours of sleep, essentially straight through.  I broke all records!
Do I feel rested?  Sort of.
My hips are burning with pain because of my having stayed in the same position all night, too.
But the most important observation is:  I don't feel groggy this morning, the way I usually feel when I take a sleeping aid.  Obviously, if you truly sleep them off, they work.

No comments: