Friday, March 12, 2010

Psychological Battering

My massage therapist tells me that I'm too thin.
Isn't that encouraging?
According to Dr. Oz, I am now at precistely the 'perfect' weight for my height.
Perhaps not the perfect weight for a woman of my height given my age.
I mean, after all, I am getting on in years.
You might recall the exchange I had recently with a member of John's skeet club, wherein I discovered that certain persons were obviously of the impression that when I retired four years ago, I had attained the wonderful retirement age of 65 years. I was in fact 56 years old at the time.
One can only imagine the psychological toll that had on me: at 56, I was presumed to be 65 years old?
Earlier this week, I had been explaining to my physiotherapist why I didn't like having to use my cane all the time.
"I find that people treat me differently when I use my cane," I said. "They talk to me as though I'm my grandmother."
"Yes, isn't it funny how that works," she said. "If a peson in her 20s is using a cane, it's assumed that there is an injury or some such thing. But someone our age uses a cane, or walks with difficulty as you do, and it's assumed that they are quite old. ... Hey, you ARE a grandmother!"
"Yes, but I'm not MY grandmother," I retorted, "and that's why I don't like using my cane!"
I was relating this story to my massge therapist, and we were getting quite a giggle out of it, when I was reminded of other "cane-related" incidences.
Almost a year ago, I had gone into my local Bulk Barn to buy some goodies and it just happened to be on a Wednesday. As the cashier rang in my purchases, she informed me that it was seniors' day so I was saving 10%. I didn't question it since she worked there; she should know how these things work. Forever after, my little chickadee would give me her Bulk Barn shopping list since I qualified for the discount, and I would go into my local outlet on a Wednesday and without question, I'd be given the seniors' discount.
More recently, as we entered her local Bulk Barn outlet and my little chickadee was telling me that I could go through the cash for her to get the discount, I noticed the sign that indicated the seniors' discount applied at age 65! I was horrified. We went through the cash, and I was not given the discount. Obviously, since I'm not 65, I didn't push the matter.
The difference between the two outlets? I always use my cane at my outlet because of where it is situtated (it involves a lot more walking). I did not have my cane when I was with my little chickadee at her local outlet. Obviously, the cane makes a difference in how I am perceived by others!
More recently, in fact just two days ago, I was at my local pharmacy. I was questioning the price of a product and asked if it ever came on sale. The clerk, trying to offer me price-saving hints, suggested that I could save an extra 20% by coming in on seniors' day.
"Sure," I thought, "As long as I have ny husband with me to make those purchases for me on that day."
You guessed it. I had my cane with me.
My point here is:  I am six months away from my 60th birthday.
I will not accept that I look like I'm already 65 years old.
But when I use my cane, it is assumed that I am my grandmother.
Not that I am A grandmother; that I am MY grandmother.
And that offends me
It is a battering that my psyche is having great difficulty dealing with lately.
And somehow I'm supposed to get my head around using a walker in my home?

3 comments:

Shannon said...

I'd take advantage of the discount (I have no pride, I want the discount price) even if I wasn't of the age yet!

Christine said...

What a crummy thing to have happen. Personally I'd rather not get the discount but I've been asked about it too and I don't carry a cane!!! Colin, my son is 35 and Monika is 32. I feel like I don't look old enough to have children that age so I lie and tell everyone that they are from Mark's first marriage (I am his only wife!!) But am I only fooling myself??? I wonder.

C. Bonnie Fowler said...

Shannon -- I don't mind getting the discount, it's the suggestion that I look old enough to qualify for it that I find offensive.

Christine -- NO, you certainly do NOT look old enough either. I've always tried to tell people I'm 29 but once my little chickadee hit that age and beyond (she will this year be the same age as your son), it's been a little trickier to pull off (I started young?). She figures I should up it a bit now that she is older than I but ... I don't know what age to settle on. 39 sounds so Jack Benny-ish; perhaps I could live with being 49, I'll try that one on for a bit and see how I like it.
Hell, if I'm going to lie about it, may as well lie big -- I'm sticking with 29 cuz I like the sound of it!