Thursday, March 4, 2010

Oh I did it up good this time!

Well, I'm really paying the price now, let me tell you.
I've been having so much fun playing family tree detective of late that I've been sitting long hours in front of the computer(s) -- I move from my desktop downstairs in the office to my laptop upstairs in front of the television, depending on the time of day.
That's a no-no.
Don't get me wrong.
I did move occassionally.
I mean, really, one does have to go to the washroom sometimes (with what I call my thimble-sized bladder, my visits are famously frequent).
And while I do have a cleaning lady, she only comes in every second Wednesday so there are daily household chores that need to be taken care of around here (if only I had married rich ... and we had a daily cleaning lady ...)
Oh yes, and one does have to eat on a regular basis.
And I'm happy to report that it would seem that my 'eating disorder' is a thing of the past.  I am now eating without discomfort; still not a lot mind you, but at least I'm eating.
Anyway, point is, I did move, which is critical to my not seizing up.
I guess I didn't quite move with enough frequency.
Or I didn't stretch enough.
Or my body has just realized that it isn't getting as much pain med as it was used to and now it's decided to object.
Whatever the factors that played into my lack of sleep last night, I am exhausted today.
I woke last night at 12:30am -- in absolute, total agony.
I woke again at 2:30am.
And again at 3:30am, at which point I figured I may as well stay up because my body clearly didn't want to be laying down.
But my head had other ideas; it clearly wanted to be asleep.
So back to bed it was but I remained on my back, and eventually I must have drifted off to never-never-land in spite of the throbbing pain.
Next wakening hour was 5:30am and this time I did stay up.
Enough is enough.   This two-hour waking cycle is precisely the one I was in before I started taking Cesamet -- so clearly I am no longer getting the sleep enhancement that it had been affording me.
So by 6:15am, I was propped up on the bed with an ice pack on each hip, drinking coffee and reading my morning newspaper.
John tells me he's glad the pain hasn't stopped my 'smart ass' attitude though.
I was complaining that my fingers were too cold to turn the pages of the newspaper and I wanted him to go down and start the fire for the day (we sleep in a very cold house).  All winter, I have asked him to please put the fire on before he comes back upstairs to read the newspaper.  He never does.
"I'm going to do that," he said, "but it's kind of difficult for me to build a fire when I haven't had any breakfast yet."
"It's impossible for me to make breakfast," was my retort, "when I'm frozen to the bed."
Breakfast was eventually served at about 8:30am, which for this household, was actually pretty early in spite of the fact that we are both usually 'up' by 6:00am!
I've already done two loads of laundry; refilled the suet feeder (birdies are behaving like it's spring already); had a shower and 'got beautiful' because I have to go for a massage this afternoon (aaaaaaahhhhh, it's going to feel good).
Haven't yet done any of my daily bookkeeping that I usually do; guess that will happen later.
Now I have to get off here because I have 'important' stuff to tend to.
Later.

1 comment:

Natpaul said...

I am also glad that it hasn't stopped your smart ass attitude. You wouldn't be nearly as much fun without it!