Tuesday, March 30, 2010

It pays to have friends in important places!

You know you have a good mechanic when he calls for one reason (to chat with your husband) and the conversation takes a bit of a twist.
"Hey, Mike, would you be amenable to coming here one evening, put my summer tires in my car for me, then take my car with you to work to make the switch and ..."
"Yeh sure, Bonnie, when do you want to do it?"
We discussed various options, based on our respective commitments.
So, tomorrow night, he'll come here, he'll put the tires in my car (we certainly can't move those 19" suckers) and he'll take my car home with him.  (All I have to do is call him tomorrow to remind him to stop by here -- he has a terrible memory!)
On Thursday, he'll have the pleasure of driving my baby to work and feeling like a king (he always tells me that after driving my vehicles -- they also "go real fast").
The snow tires will be swapped, the oil will be changed, he'll fill the tank, and he'll return the car to me that evening.  He'll even wash it for me if I ask him to (which I might -- sorry Pauple, but you will get other opportunities).
Then he'll stop and chat for a while (maybe have a beer) before going home to his family (they live not too far from us).
When I was working, we used to do this sort of thing quite regularly, or I would call as I left the office and just stop in at his shop for my oil changes (or sometimes I'd stop on my way to the office).  He would always make sure there was a bay available so that I would not be delayed. 
Life is good when you live in the country.
It also pays to have friends in important places!

No comments: